[comp.unix.ultrix] tcsh and DecWindows: the person who helped last time!

jdubb@bucsf.bu.edu (jay dubb) (03/09/91)

From: jdubb@bucsf.bu.edu (jay dubb)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
Subject: tcsh and DECWindows: the person who helped last time!
Some kind soul (unfortunately, I lost his address!) writes:

>On 4 Mar 91 21:32:37 GMT, jdubb@bucsf.bu.edu (jay dubb) said:

>jdubb>    I have a DEC Vaxstation II/RC running Ultrix 4.1 and DecWindows. I
>jdubb> have noticed that when I use chsh to setup tcsh as the login shell for
>jdubb> a user, that user is not able to log in: after typing his username and
>jdubb> password at the login prompt, the screen clears, and then instead of
>jdubb> running the session manager etc., it brings back the DEC logo and
>jdubb> login: prompt. Any ideas on why this happens or how to prevent it? Is
>jdubb> anyone out there using tcsh as their login shell on a DEC Workstation?

>The problem is that in general DECwindows is broken in this way: the
>shell it starts is told it is a login shell, but it is not told it is
>NOT interactive, i.e. it is not attached to a tty. This causes problems;
>in one other shell with command history and line editing, like ksh and
>tcsh, one has to write something like:

>	if [ -t 0 ]
>	then : It is really interactive, enable all tty oriented goodies.
>	else : It is not really interactive... disable them
>	fi

This is definitely to the point, but I am afraid I don't understand.
First of all, where does one write this? In the .login, or in the
.tcshrc? Second, when I log in from DecWindows normally, and the tcsh
is my logi shell, is that the interactive case?  If so, when does it ever
get called non-interactively?  Thus, my .login has some aliases and
some tset etc. Do I put this under the then: or the else: clause in
the above example? Or does it get called twice, or what?  Please
enlighten me.

					Mike Levin (mlevin@jade.tufts.edu)