[comp.unix.ultrix] tcsh, twm, Xtm2d on DecStation 5000/200 running 4.1

da@cs.brown.edu (David Ascher) (03/13/91)

Where can I find the source for tcsh and twm to run on my Decstation?

I still have a memory leak with Xtm2d, even though I have the -su flag
added after Xtm2d in the /etc/ttys file.  Is the flag different for
Xtm2d than for the other X servers?  Any other clues?

I still get the "mwm: invalid icon bitmap" message whenever i start an
X application.  Still accepting clues.

Finally:  Are comp.sys.dec and comp.unix.ultrix archived somewhere?

thanks
--david
-- David Ascher -- Lead/Sr. Systems Programmer (UNIX)
                   Computing and Information Services
                   Brown University, Providence RI 02912
    Internet:      dascher@brownvm.Brown.EDU (Internet)

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (03/13/91)

In article <68244@brunix.UUCP> da@cs.brown.edu (David Ascher) writes:

>Where can I find the source for tcsh and twm to run on my Decstation?

The tcsh changes to csh are available via anonymous ftp from
tesla.ee.cornell.edu.  You'll need the sources for the 4.3bsd csh
to build it.  You need a license to get the csh sources.

twm is in the X11 distribution available from export.lcs.mit.edu (note
the name change; it used to be expo.lcs.mit.edu).

>I still have a memory leak with Xtm2d, even though I have the -su flag
>added after Xtm2d in the /etc/ttys file.  Is the flag different for
>Xtm2d than for the other X servers?  Any other clues?

See the message I've tacked on to the end of this message about why
X servers grow in size.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

Newsgroups:  comp.unix.ultrix
Date:    26 Jan 91 05:09:06 GMT
From:    jg@quabbin.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys)
Subject: Re: Xcfb growing and growing and grow....

In article <1991Jan25.170335@wsl.dec.com> gringort@wsl.dec.com (Joel Gringorten
) writes:
>I'm suprised that nobody's pointed this out yet, but...
>
>All X Servers have a tendancy to grow.  They allocate storage for a variety
>of reasons resulting from client requests.  When this allocated storage is
>free'd, the process doesn't grow any smaller.  So the server process size can
>only grow larger and not smaller.  There are some versions of Unix that can
>do a negative sbrk, but this only works if you happen to have contiguous
>address space at the end of your process.  Fragmentation of the allocated
>storage space makes this less likely.
>
>The virtual address size (SIZE) of the server isn't particularly interesting
>anyway. What's interesting is the resident set size (RSS) which tells you how
>much memory you're really hogging.
>
>Many X Servers, including DEC's, have memory leaks which will cause them to
>hog more memory than they should.  DEC has been religous about tracking down
>memory leaks in their servers over time.  This is to say that the more recent
>the release, the fewer memory leaks a server is likely to have.  The next
>release of Ultrix will contain a server based on MIT X11R4, which uses much
>less memory than previous releases due to reorganizing internal data structure
s.
>But even it will have a tendancy to grow in virtual address space in time.  It
's
>just the nature of the beast.

Joel's last statement here isn't  really correct (though the previous
ones are fine).  A "bug free" X server will generally undo fragmentation
of the memory it has allocated at server reset (typically when a user
logs out), so the virtual address space of an X server will normally tend
toward a steady-state maximum, set by the appication mix you generally
run.  The server tries very hard on server reset to make sure any allocated
memory gts freed (there is acutally an exception to this statement, but to
first order, it is correct); malloc/free then will merge the freed memroy
back into contiguous blocks.

So while your virtual address space used by the X server should increase for
a while, there should come a point at which it stops growing (presuming
a steady state of application's demands); if it doesn't, there is likely a
memory leak somewhere.

I've certainly used X servers for months on end in the past (without
restarting the server), and seen this behavior (and I've been
watching X servers for longer than most people :-)).

And sorry for the memory leak in our current server...

			- Jim Gettys
			  Digital Equipment Corporation
			  Cambridge Research Laboratory

---