[comp.unix.ultrix] ofiles for Ultrix 4.0 Risc

fct@raybed2.msd.ray.com (Fred Thompson) (03/06/91)

Is there a version of ofiles (a program that lists open files for
a chosen file system) available for Ultrix 4.0 on a DECstation.
The version I have dies when it's run.

Thanks.
--
Fred Thompson,   ...!samsung!swlvx2!fct  or  fct@swlvx2.msd.ray.com
Raytheon Co,     Missile Systems Division, Tewksbury, Mass. 01876

frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (03/08/91)

Try the one in pub/dec/ofiles.tar.Z on gatekeeper.dec.com.

					Frank

In article <1964@riscy.enet.dec.com> frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) writes:
> Try the one in pub/dec/ofiles.tar.Z on gatekeeper.dec.com.

Note that this one *does* work on RISC Ultrix, at least 3.1C,
although the documentation hasn't been updated to indicate
any changes.  Looks like thanks are due to Jeff Mogul again.

BTW, remember that ofiles doesn't tell you which files are
open, just gives the i-numbers* and process id's of what's
open on a given filesystem.  Luckily, this enough for most
purposes like finding out who's got a file open on my news
partition so I can't get it unmounted...

(*) i-number to filename involves directory scanning to find
    matching numbers.  Painful, but see {dcheck,ncheck} -i.

fct@raybed2.msd.ray.com (Fred Thompson) (03/09/91)

In article <1964@riscy.enet.dec.com>, frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) writes:
> Try the one in pub/dec/ofiles.tar.Z on gatekeeper.dec.com.
>
> 					Frank

Thanks, I pulled that across and compiled it and it works OK.

Now if they just come up with a way to find out what remote machines
have a nfs'ed local file system open. I see the nfsd's have it open,
but you can't tell from where.

Anyone know about something like this?

--

frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (03/11/91)

> Now if they just come up with a way to find out what remote machines
> have a nfs'ed local file system open.

Your description sounds a lot like the "showmount" command.  Try
"/usr/etc/showmount"
and see if it gives you the information you need.

						Frank

frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (03/11/91)

OK, maybe I was wrong in my previous followup to this thread.  ;-)
Thanks to Fred Avolio for pointing this out.

Fred Thompson was looking for a utility to "... find out what remote
machines have a nfs'ed local file system open."

A somewhat better answer might be nfswatch, which is also on
gatekeeper.dec.com.  This utility might not answer Fred T's needs
entirely either, but it's a somewhat closer to what he seems to
be looking for.  (It's located in pub/net/nfs.)

A full listing of gatekeeper's archives are in ls-lRt.Z and ls-lR.Z
in the top level directory.

				Frank

kepowers@mbunix.mitre.org (Powers) (03/13/91)

In article <2147@raybed2.msd.ray.com> fct@raybed2.msd.ray.com (Fred Thompson) writes:
>Now if they just come up with a way to find out what remote machines
>have a nfs'ed local file system open. I see the nfsd's have it open,
>but you can't tell from where.

Look in /etc/rmtab for a list.

--
Kelly-Erin Powers		The MITRE Corporation
Unix Systems Group		Burlington Road