[comp.unix.ultrix] Slip on ULTRIX

SNYDERS@process.com (John Snyders) (03/12/91)

I am looking for information on how to get slip up and running on an ULTRIX
V4.1 system.

The if_sl.o network interface device driver is supplied and I have it linked
into the kernel but the slip interface does not show up on netstat -i.
I have not found any documentation on how to install slip.

What if anything do I need to add to conf.c?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this is got posted twice.

email snyders@process.com

hlh@raybed2.msd.ray.com (HOWARD HANTMAN) (03/16/91)

In article <27753@dime.cs.umass.edu>, SNYDERS@process.com (John Snyders) writes:

> I am looking for information on how to get slip up and running on an ULTRIX
> V4.1 system.
>
> The if_sl.o network interface device driver is supplied and I have it linked
> into the kernel but the slip interface does not show up on netstat -i.
> I have not found any documentation on how to install slip.

Assuming you have pseudo-device sl in your kernel configuration file, there
is nothing else required in the kernel. The SLIP interface itself, however,
is dynamic. Only when SLIP is active on some line(s) will netstat -i show
anything. The SLIP configuration is given by the file /etc/sliphosts. This
specifies how to initiate SLIP to a remote host as well as what to do when
a remote host connects. Once this file is configured properly (the comments
in the supplied template file show the syntax well), you can use
/usr/new/slattach (which should exist since you must have loaded the
unsupported software to get if_sl.o) with a host name to initiate a
connection. Once you have done this, netstat -i will display the new
interface.

Remote hosts wanting to initiate a connection to your machine
must have a login in /etc/passwd by their host name. The login shell should
be /usr/new/slattach. Due to utmp limitations, the host name (or alias)
must be 8 characters or less. All hosts should be in the hosts file/database,
including whatever name and new address your host wishes to use on the
slip interface. You should have a unique alias and address for your host
for each potential simultaneous SLIP connection. Otherwise you run the risk
of multiple interfaces trying to use the same address.

There will be a slattach process associated with each active SLIP interface.
If you kill the process, the associated sl interface will disappear. You
may wish to do this to reenable login capability on a line on wish a remote
machine has initiated SLIP. The remote user hanging up the line does NOT
kill slattach. As a result future connections will be talking to a SLIP
server rather than a getty.

					Howard Hantman
					Computing Consultant
					Software Development Center