[comp.unix.ultrix] pstat -s

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (03/18/91)

In article <77136@bu.edu.bu.edu>, jdh@bu-pub.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) writes:
> The man page for pstat refers to the "-s" option as follows:
>
> [ Customer quotes the -s option from the pstat(8) manual page
>   wherein something called "argdev" is mentioned". ]
>
> So what exactly are "pages allocated to argdev"?  Here's what it looks
> like on one of our machines (DECstation-3100, Ultrix 4.0)

	Once upon a time the virtual memory used to do command line
	argument processesing was backed by disk blocks from a special
	swap device; argdev.  If you wanted to you could point some-
	where other than the usual page/swap device in the configuration
	file.  A few versions ago this feature was removed or made
	unnecessary.  Appearantly the manual page was never updated.

> /etc/pstat -s
> 141751k swap configured
> 115867k reserved virtual address space
>         34164k used (9760k text, 0k smem)
>         31364k free, 2056k wasted, 76223k missing
> avail: 975*32k 164*1k
>
> So, "76223k missing" sounds like a lot of space.

	Typical reason for having lots of page/swap space missing
	is that you've specified an extra device for page/swap in
	the configuration file, but haven't added a line to /etc/
	fstab to turn on paging/swapping on it when swapon(8) runs.

	In the configuration you might say:

		config vmunix root on rz0a swap on rz0b and rz1b and rz2b

	In /etc/fstab you'll have line like:

		/dev/rz1b::sw:0:0:ufs::

	for the first secondary page/swap space, not one for the 2nd.
	You don't need one for the primary page/swap.  Add a line for
	the missing space:

		/dev/rz2b::sw:0:0:ufs::

	And run swapon.  You'll probably get a "device mounted" message
	for the one already in use.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com

jdh@bu-pub.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) (03/18/91)

The man page for pstat refers to the "-s" option as follows:

                  +    The number of pages free, wasted, or missing. Free
                       pages are pages that have not been allocated. Miss-
                       ing pages are usually allocated to argdev.  Wasted
                       pages indicate the amount of space lost because the
                       swap space is fragmented.

So what exactly are "pages allocated to argdev"?  Here's what it looks
like on one of our machines (DECstation-3100, Ultrix 4.0)

/etc/pstat -s
141751k swap configured
115867k reserved virtual address space
        34164k used (9760k text, 0k smem)
        31364k free, 2056k wasted, 76223k missing
avail: 975*32k 164*1k

So, "76223k missing" sounds like a lot of space.

Jason Heirtzler           (617) 353-2780       jdh@bu-pub.bu.edu
Information Technology    Boston University    ..!bu.edu!bu-pub!jdh

sac@decuk.uvo.dec.com (Stephen A Carpenter) (03/19/91)

Sounds like you have a swap device configured into the kernel but not entered
into the /etc/fstab file. Swap entries in the fstab file should look like :-

/dev/ra10b::sw:0:0:ufs::

--
Stephen Carpenter               sac@decuk.uvo.dec.com

UK Ultrix Support