[comp.unix.ultrix] How do I increase the allowable datasize for a user?

jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) (03/18/91)

Hardware: VAXstation 3200
OS:	  Ultrix 3.1

How do I go about increasing the allowed datasize for a user?  I
reconfigured the kernel with dmmin and dmmax changed to allow a
large data segment, but those changes did not reveal themselves
to the C shell limits.  This user needs a virtual space of about
128MB, but is presently limited to about 21MB.  Is it possible to
get a data segment that large, and what do I need to change in
order to allow it?

Thanks for all replies in advance,
	-John

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (03/19/91)

In article <1364@cameron.egr.duke.edu>, jpe@egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) writes:
> Hardware: VAXstation 3200
> OS:	  Ultrix 3.1
>
> How do I go about increasing the allowed datasize for a user?  I
> reconfigured the kernel with dmmin and dmmax changed to allow a
> large data segment, but those changes did not reveal themselves
> to the C shell limits.

	What's the value of dmmax?  Did you rebuild the kernel
	after making the change in the configuration file?  Did
	you reboot using the new kernel?  What limits does limit
	show?

	Changing dmmax should be enough if you used a legal
	value.

> This user needs a virtual space of about 128MB, but is presently
> limited to about 21MB.  Is it possible to get a data segment that
> large, and what do I need to change in order to allow it?

	Yes, it is possible to get values that large.  You should
	be able to use dmmin = 32 and dmmax = 8192.  Now the real
	question is whether you have enough page/swap space to back
	that much virtual memory?  Using a couple of RD54 just for
	page/swap will get you enough if you're using DEC disks.
	3rd party stuff would make it easier.

> Thanks for all replies in advance,

	You're welcome.

--