[comp.unix.ultrix] Need help setting up LAT Printer on DEC Station 3100

kaa2505@rigel.tamu.edu (ACKLEY, KEITH ANTHONY) (03/21/91)

I am having problems setting up a LAT Printer on a DEC Station 3100
running Ultrix 4.1. I have tried to follow the instructions in the
manuals with no luck.

Thanks

Keith Ackley

wensel@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Sharon Taylor) (03/21/91)

> I am having problems setting up a LAT Printer on a DEC Station 3100
> running Ultrix 4.1. I have tried to follow the instructions in the
> manuals with no luck.
>
> Thanks
>
> Keith Ackley

My group has 5 printers (3 Apple laserwriters and 2 line printers)
running via LAT with a DEC 5100 as a server.  Also, running
Ultrix 4.1.  I can try to help, but what specifically would you like to know?
- Sharon Taylor
  EECS Instructional Group
  U.C. Berkeley

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (03/21/91)

In article <13537@helios.TAMU.EDU>, kaa2505@rigel.tamu.edu (ACKLEY, KEITH ANTHONY) writes:
> I am having problems setting up a LAT Printer on a DEC Station 3100
> running Ultrix 4.1. I have tried to follow the instructions in the
> manuals with no luck.
>
> Thanks
>
> Keith Ackley

	At the end the reply is a sample entry for an LN03R.  I'll
	point out some things of particular interest.  In general
	you can get the basic setup done for a support printer using
	lprsetup.

	First thing of interest; lp=.  Choose what tty special device
	you want to use.  Make sure it's turned off in /etc/ttys.  You
	also need to enable host initiated connects on it.  When you
	start the LAT (probably in /etc/rc.local) use the -h option
	to enable that tty:

		/etc/lcp -s -h /dev/tty12 [ other-options ]

	If the terminal server is restricting access by group code then
	the host needs to oblige (-g group-code).

	Next thing of interest is :os=:op=:ts=:.  Locally we only have
	to use op= to specify the port and ts= the terminal server.  You
	may have to provide a value for os= or force it to a null string.
	You could specify the port and terminal with the -h command, but
	I find it easier to split them up.

	The ct= should be "lat".  Most everything else is dependent on
	the printer.

#
# @(#)printcap	3.1 (ULTRIX) 4/20/90
#