[comp.unix.ultrix] Manpath? - summary of email responses

magnus%thep.lu.se@Urd.lth.se (Magnus Olsson) (03/21/91)

I've received quite a lot of mail about this question. I'm sorry that I
don't have the time to answer each reply individually, so here is a
collective thank you.

Many people wrote and suggested that I set the environment variable
MANPATH. Unfortunately, this Ultrix man doesn't support this.

I got some suggestions for alternative man commands that support MANPATH
(and also are better than the original man in other ways).

One of them was written in Perl by Tom Christiansen. It is available via
anonymous ftp from  tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (128.146.8.60) in the
directory pub/perl/scripts/tchrist.

Another version, in C, was written by John W. Eaton. This version is
available from andy.che.utexas.edu (128.83.162.5) in the directory pub.

Apparently, one version is also available from nuri.inria.fr (128.93.1.26).
I don't know if it's identical to any of the ones mentioned above.

The Perl version was warmly recommended by several people, apparently it
is quite popular.

DSICLAIMER: I haven't had the time yet to test any of the alternative
man commands yet.

Magnus Olsson                   | \e+      /_
Dept. of Theoretical Physics    |  \  Z   / q
University of Lund, Sweden      |   >----<
Internet: magnus@thep.lu.se     |  /      \===== g
Bitnet: THEPMO@SELDC52          | /e-      \q

dunlop@wateol.UWaterloo.CA (Doug Dunlop) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.115708.29778@lth.se> magnus%thep.lu.se@Urd.lth.se (Magnus
Olsson) writes:
>I've received quite a lot of mail about this question. I'm sorry that I
>don't have the time to answer each reply individually, so here is a
>collective thank you.
>

>Many people wrote and suggested that I set the environment variable
>MANPATH. Unfortunately, this Ultrix man doesn't support this.

Here goes for a simple fix, a script that calls man:

man $1
man -P /usr/local/man $1

Thats it! It looks first in the standard /usr/man and then in the local
man-page area /usr/local/man.

Regards,
Doug Dunlop              E-mail: dunlop@wateol.UWaterloo.CA
Earth Observations Lab / ISTS, University of Waterloo