[comp.unix.ultrix] Displaying swap space...

shahryar@sfsuvax1.SFSU.EDU (Persian Nightmare) (03/22/91)

Dear all,

I would like to know how to display the swap space left on Ultrix 4.1??

Thanks,

Shahryar

--
'How weary, stale, flat, and unprofitable
Seem to me all the uses of this world!

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (03/22/91)

In article <SHAHRYAR.91Mar21210951@sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu>, shahryar@sfsuvax1.SFSU.EDU (Persian Nightmare) writes:

> I would like to know how to display the swap space left on Ultrix 4.1??

	Depending on what you want to know you can:

	1.  Use the -s option of pstat(8) to display, how much total
	    page/swap is available, how much reserved, how much is
	    actually being used for text, data and shared memory,
	    and how swapfrag pieces there are.  ULTRIX V4 doesn't
	    allocate page/swap until it's needed, but it does reserve
	    it whenever virual memory is allocated.  This way we
	    don't have to worry about a deadlock problem.

	2.  Get Monitor V1.2 (or .3) from gatekeeper.dec.com.  It
	    has an option to watch page/swap space.  The next version
	    will display reserved page/swap space on V4.x systems.

	3.  Write you own program to examine the swap device table
	    and/or the swap map.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com