[comp.unix.ultrix] LAT/Telnet gateway

robert@perv.pe.utexas.edu (Robert R. Schneider) (08/19/89)

Hi;

I'm trying to set up a LAT/Telnet Gateway on a DECstation-3100 we have.
I've got Ultrix V3.0 ( Rev 64 ) and Ultrix Worksystem V2.0 ( Rev 7 ).
In /etc/ttys I've setup a terminal to be;

tty06 "/usr/etc/lattelnet std.9600" vt100 on nomodem

Also when I do a file /dev/tty06 it shows up as being a LAT terminal.  With
lcp I've tried to set up the service by;

lcp -v node -V "Local node service" -v telnet:/dev/tty06 -V "Telnet Service"

to which lcp returns with;

lcp -v: non LAT device

This is pretty much verbatim from the "Guide to Ethernet Communication Servers
for RISC Processors" on how to set this up but it still fails.  Anyone got
any ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks in advance ...

Robert Schneider

+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
|Robert Schneider                     |  Internet: robert@perv.pe.utexas.edu|
|Department of Petroleum Engineering  |  BITNET: pefv673@utchpc             |
|University of Texas at Austin        |  THEnet: PERV::ROBERT               |
+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+

In article <17344@ut-emx.UUCP> robert@perv.pe.utexas.edu (Robert R. Schneider) writes:
> I'm trying to set up a LAT/Telnet Gateway on a DECstation-3100 we have.
>
> Also when I do a file /dev/tty06 it shows up as being a LAT terminal.  With
> lcp I've tried to set up the service by;
>
> lcp -v node -V "Local node service" -v telnet:/dev/tty06 -V "Telnet Service"
>
> to which lcp returns with;
> lcp -v: non LAT device

I'd double check that you have the appropriate entries in your config file
for the kernel you're running when you do this.  Your /etc/ttys and lcp
stuff look reasonable, though I'd expect a -s in there somewhere, and the
file(1) suggests the correct major/minor device entries, so process of
elimination doesn't leave a lot of choices.  Do you have "normal" LAT
terminal service working?  How many lines and on which /dev/tty*?

You'll want the following options in your "config" file to support LAT
and terminal server access/control...

options		DLI
options		LAT
pseudo-device	ether		(not 100% sure you need this...)
pseudo-device	dli
pseudo-device	lat
pseudo-device	lta	64	(number of LAT connections supported)

thomas@mipsbx.nac.dec.com (Matt Thomas) (08/20/89)

> lcp -v node -V "Local node service" -v telnet:/dev/tty06 -V "Telnet Service"
>
> to which lcp returns with;
>
> lcp -v: non LAT device

Fixed in V3.1.  If your running V3.0 and can't upgrade, the CSC should have a patched
version of lcp which they can give you.
--
Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas@decwrl.dec.com
DECnet-Ultrix Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas

tewksbury@budsga.bu.edu (Chip Tewksbury) (03/23/91)

Speaking as a complete Ultrix novice, are there any capabilities in Ultrix
which allows Telnet users to connect to systems via LAT in a similar way that
the LAT/Telnet gateway allows LAT users to connect to Telnet?

Please respond directly to me since I do not follow this newsgroup.
	Thanks a lot!
Chip Tewksbury,  Boston University.  tewksbury@budsga.bu.edu