[comp.unix.ultrix] Manpath?

magnus%thep.lu.se@Urd.lth.se (Magnus Olsson) (03/19/91)

The manual pages for man (1) say that one can use the -P manpath
option to search for manual pages in a different place than the
usual /usr/man/man?. However, this means that the man command
won't find the usual man pages.

Is there a simple way of making man search first in the usual place,
and then, if the mn page isn't found, in another directory (e.g.
/usr/local/man)? It's a bit irritating to have to install the manual
pages for local software in /usr/man - we lost some manual pages for
this reason the last time we upgraded the system.

Magnus Olsson                   | \e+      /_
Dept. of Theoretical Physics    |  \  Z   / q
University of Lund, Sweden      |   >----<
Internet: magnus@thep.lu.se     |  /      \===== g
Bitnet: THEPMO@SELDC52          | /e-      \q

magnus%thep.lu.se@Urd.lth.se (Magnus Olsson) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.143738.5663@lth.se> I wrote:
>Is there a simple way of making man search first in the usual place,
>and then, if the mn page isn't found, in another directory (e.g.
>/usr/local/man)? It's a bit irritating to have to install the manual
>pages for local software in /usr/man - we lost some manual pages for
>this reason the last time we upgraded the system.

I've received several emails with the advice to do
setenv MANPATH /usr/man:/usr/local/man.
While this may work on other BSD systems, it doesn't seem to do
it under Ultrix. Other solutions are required.

Does anybody know why DEC have lobotomized their own system in this
way (by removing the MANPATH environment variable?)

Magnus Olsson                   | \e+      /_
Dept. of Theoretical Physics    |  \  Z   / q
University of Lund, Sweden      |   >----<
Internet: magnus@thep.lu.se     |  /      \===== g
Bitnet: THEPMO@SELDC52          | /e-      \q

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (03/20/91)

The man program is very old under ULTRIX.  MANPATH was not taken
out.  The man program under ULTRIX is from September 1983.

Fred

pierre@csis.dit.csiro.au (Peter Nikitser) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar19.143738.5663@lth.se> magnus@thep.lu.se (Magnus Olsson)
writes:
>Is there a simple way of making man search first in the usual place,
>and then, if the mn page isn't found, in another directory (e.g.
>/usr/local/man)?

Try the following in your .cshrc file:

	setenv MANPATH /usr/man:/usr/local/man

Pierre.

--
Peter.Nikitser@csis.dit.csiro.au
CSIRO Division of Information Technology          Phone:   +61-6-2750926

neideck@kaputt.enet.dec.com (Burkhard Neidecker-Lutz) (03/21/91)

As stated earlier, the man program in Ultrix is aged. Embarassing as that
may be, I'd suggest you replace it with a more modern version like the
GNU version. This should be available from

	gatekeeper.dec.com	pub/GNU/man-1.0.tar.Z

in a couple of days.

			Burkhard Neidecker-Lutz, CEC Karlsruhe

PS: I'm *not* taking bug reports on this one, please refer to the original
    authors. I'm willing to take some mail orders for people without
    anonymous FTP capability (although they could use the ftp-mail servers
    as well).

magnus%thep.lu.se@Urd.lth.se (Magnus Olsson) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.142337.4489@decuac.dec.com> avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>The man program is very old under ULTRIX.  MANPATH was not taken
>out.  The man program under ULTRIX is from September 1983.

Then why doesn't DEC do anything about it? As it is, it's rather inconvenient.

In article <1991Mar21.114600.29641@lth.se> magnus@thep.lu.se (Magnus Olsson) writes:
> In article <1991Mar20.142337.4489@decuac.dec.com> avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
> >The man program is very old under ULTRIX.  MANPATH was not taken
> >out.  The man program under ULTRIX is from September 1983.
>
> Then why doesn't DEC do anything about it? As it is, it's rather inconvenient.

Of course it's inconvenient, but rememeber that Ultrix is based on BSD 4.2,
with only very selective enhancements from 4.3 BSD, SunOS and other sources.
While I'm not pleased with this position, it does explain why various
"features" of Ultrix are either outdated, or have been re-implemented in
ways that are somewhat different than what you might otherwise expect.

The man command distributed with Ultrix does support 'l' and 'n' manual
sections, on my system these are symbolic links to /usr/local/{man,cat}{l,n},
which allows me to keep local manual entries segregated from what DEC
distributes.

This sometimes requires changing installation scripts to put the man pages
in the right place, with the approprite suffix and not posting man pages for
file formats and the like, but you get used to it.  I've never seen an
install script that does what I want anyway...  8-)