[comp.unix.ultrix] MicroVAX discontinuation?

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (03/29/91)

Has anyone else heard that DEC will be discontinuing their MicroVAX line
and thereby discontinuing any non-risc Ultrix machines?

Thanks
--
Rex Fowler <rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com>
UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar29.022854.13827@texrex.uucp>, rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) writes:
> Has anyone else heard that DEC will be discontinuing their MicroVAX line
> and thereby discontinuing any non-risc Ultrix machines?

	Unless you count the fact that we've been discontining bit
	and pieces of the MicroVAX line for years.  When was the
	last time you saw a new MicroVAX I?  Or even a new MicroVAX
	II (except for specialized configurations).

	Actually if you look at the announcement many months ago
	of the VAX 4000 series there is a notable lack of the word
	Micro in front of VAX.  When you consider that the "low end"
	systems are 6 or more times faster than 11/780 is doesn't
	seem fair to call them "MicroVAX".  I think the current low
	end systems are the MicroVAX 3000s (3100, 3400, 3800, 3900).
	Perhaps recent history can be used to predict when these will
	be retired.

	Now, I'm not sure what the retirement (the word we use) of
	the MicroVAX II based systems has to do with non-RISC ULTRIX
	systems.  About the only VAX systems ULTRIX isn't supported
	on is the 11/725, 11/730, 11/782 and VAX 4000.  The last one
	is the interesting one of course.  ULTRIX isn't support on
	the VAX 4000.  I believe the reason is that it isn't interesting
	compared to corresponding DECsystems.  Unless you HAVE to HAVE
	a VAX, the DECsystem 5500 is as good or better a choice then
	the VAX 4000.  For the bigger systems all the VAX 6000 series
	is supported (-500 models in V4.2 I believe).  And for those
	interested in serious VAX VUPS or vector capabilites the VAX
	9000 is supported.

	VAX workstations are probably a different story.  Compared to
	the DECstation 5000 I don't think any of the current VAX work-
	stations are interesting, but that's just my opinion.  About
	the only workstation that support is missing for is the SPX
	versions of the VAXstation 3100s.

	All of this is idle speculation on my part of course.  What
	is and is not supported in the future is dependent on the
	Product Manager and the customers that keep them informed.

Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com

mok@fortsc.enet.dec.com (Charles P. Mok) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.022854.13827@texrex.uucp>, rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) writes...
>Has anyone else heard that DEC will be discontinuing their MicroVAX line
>and thereby discontinuing any non-risc Ultrix machines?
>
>Thanks
>--
>Rex Fowler <rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com>
>UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler

Definitely a rumor and nothing more than that.  Furthermore Ultrix runs on
almost the entire VAX family, not just the MicroVAX.

Charles

---
Charles Mok/Digital Equipment Corporation
INTERNET: mok@fortsc.enet.dec.com  UUCP: ....!decwrl!fortsc.dec.enet.com!mok
---