[comp.unix.ultrix] Auto-mounter

schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) (03/24/91)

Hello! I'm looking into an NFS auto mounter for Ultrix. Two
questions:

1. Does the one that comes with Ultrix require yellow pages to
   be running ? (we are using bind/hesiod)

2. Is there a PD version out there on gatekeeper or uunet?

Thanx!

Roland
--
Roland J. Schemers III                              Systems/Network Manager
schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ultrix)              Oakland University

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (03/24/91)

In article <5513@vela.acs.oakland.edu> schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) writes:
>Hello! I'm looking into an NFS auto mounter for Ultrix. Two
>questions:
>
>1. Does the one that comes with Ultrix require yellow pages to
>   be running ? (we are using bind/hesiod)

No.  You can use a local file, YP, or both to drive automount.

>2. Is there a PD version out there on gatekeeper or uunet?

Yes, on usc.edu you can get amd.  It's supposed to be better than
automount, but I haven't tried it yet.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

jag@cs.mu.oz.au (John Gilmour) (03/26/91)

In article <27EC1C6E.5742@orion.oac.uci.edu>, iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:
> In article <5513@vela.acs.oakland.edu> schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) writes:
> >1. Does the one that comes with Ultrix require yellow pages to
> >   be running ? (we are using bind/hesiod)
>
> No.  You can use a local file, YP, or both to drive automount.
>
> >2. Is there a PD version out there on gatekeeper or uunet?
>
> Yes, on usc.edu you can get amd.  It's supposed to be better than
> automount, but I haven't tried it yet.

If you run it on a MIPS machine you'll need to rebuild your kernel
with a fixed nfs_subr.o module. 4.0 and 4.1 versions are available
from dip.cs.wisc.edu.

Plea to DEC: please fix this module, it's supposed to be  a simple fix.

cks@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (03/30/91)

jag@cs.mu.oz.au (John Gilmour) writes:
[...]
| If you run it on a MIPS machine you'll need to rebuild your kernel
| with a fixed nfs_subr.o module. 4.0 and 4.1 versions are available
| from dip.cs.wisc.edu.

 Does anyone know what the fix consists of? We're source licensed, and
I'd much rather patch the source rather than run with a binary object
file I can't regenerate or modify further if I need to.

--
	"This is what separates us system programmers from the
	 application programmers: we can ruin an entire machine and

jag@cs.mu.oz.au (John Gilmour) (03/30/91)

From owner-amd-workers%acl%LANL.GOV@munnari.cs.mu.oz Thu Oct 25 07:25:19 1990
From: cole%cs.wisc.edu@munnari.oz (Bruce Cole)
To: amd-workers%acl@LANL.GOV
Subject: The reason why amd has problems on Ultrix MIPS processors

     In /usr/include/fs/nfs/nfs.h, the structure declaration for NFS file
handles (fhandle_t) is incorrect.  This causes sizeof(struct fhandle_t) to
yield 36 instead of the proper size (32).  The Ultrix kernel code that handles
the caching of NFS file handles depends upon this size and because of the
mis-declaration, it breaks when amd is used.
     Fixing this problem fixes the mount point traversing behavior under
Ultrix.

Workarounds:

     For Ultrix 3.1, change the rfind() routine in sys/fs/nfs/nfs_subr.c to
use the proper file handle size.

*** /tmp/,RCSt1a09412   Wed Oct 24 15:14:09 1990
--- /tmp/,RCSt2a09412   Wed Oct 24 15:14:14 1990
***************
*** 748,754 ****
--- 748,760 ----
        for (gp = ih->gh_chain[0]; gp != (struct gnode *)ih; gp = gp->g_forw) {
                if (gno == gp->g_number && fsid == gp->g_dev) {

+ #ifdef UW
+                       /* For the MIPS architecture, sizeof(*fh) = 36,
+                          instead of the expected 32. */
+                       if (bcmp(vtofh((struct vnode *)gp), fh, NFS_FHSIZE)) {
+ #else
                        if (bcmp(vtofh((struct vnode *)gp), fh, sizeof(*fh))) {
+ #endif UW
  if (cachedebug) printf("rfind: rejected stale gnode, #%d, 0x%x\n",
  gp->g_number, gp);
                                continue;

For Ultrix 4.0, make the equivalent change to the nfs_match() routine in
sys/fs/nfs/nfs_subr.c:

*** /tmp/,RCSt1a09579   Wed Oct 24 15:27:21 1990
--- nfs_subr.c  Wed Oct 24 15:25:25 1990
***************
*** 607,613 ****
--- 607,619 ----
        struct rnode_data *rdp;
  {
        return(!bcmp(vtofh((struct vnode *)gp), rdp->rn_fh,
+ #ifdef UW
+                    /* For the MIPS architecture, sizeof(*fh) = 36,
+                       instead of the expected 32. */
+                    NFS_FHSIZE));
+ #else
                sizeof(fhandle_t)));
+ #endif UW