[comp.unix.ultrix] System & Process monitoring

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (04/01/91)

In article <3141@murtoa.cs.mu.oz.au>, rob@cs.mu.oz.au (Robert Wallen) writes:

> [ A customer wants better monitoring tools than ps, systat,
>   and {io,vm,net}stat.
>
> * Program to dynamically monitor the status of a program.  Things
>   to display are:
>     * Memory utilization
>     * CPU utilization
>     * process priority

	Yup.

> * A program to dynamically monitor the "HOGS" in the system
>   (like "mon proc/topcpu").

	Nop.  Though you might want to look for something called "top".

> * Something like VAX/VMS performance analyser, to log and analyse
>   a days worth of computer activity for tuning.

	Sort of.

	The answer.  Anon. FTP from gatekeeper.dec.com:

		pub/DEC/monitor.tar.Z
		pub/DEC/monitor_v4src.tar.Z

	The first is a compressed tar archive of the old ULTRIX V2.2/
	V3.0 distribution.  The sources aren't of much use on DECstations
	and systems after V3.1.  But there is lot of other useful stuff
	there.  The 2nd is the sources for V4.0 and later.  It should
	just recompile on V4.0, V4.1 and V4.2 (when available).

	I'm working on a new full distribution, but real work keeps
	getting in the sometimes.  Of course this isn't supported, but
	I'll at least entertain suggestions and fix any bugs that people
	let know about.

> Any response would be appreciated, mail replies to rob@murtoa.cs.mu.oz
>
> PS. For a VMS user how doesn't like VI & EMACS, What else is there ?

	One of my co-workers uses something called SEDT.  How to spell
	it is all I know about it.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com