[comp.unix.ultrix] vmstat's -v option

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr3.181543.7170@netcom.COM>, fisk@netcom.COM (Benjamin Fisk) writes:
> "vmstat -v" provides a nice expanded table to read, but I cannot
> find an explanation of the output columns in the man pages or
> in DEC's docs.  I would like to know the meaning of:

	Please send in an appropriately filled in Reader's Comments
	page from the back of the section.

> "vm" "rm" and "arm" under the memory columns.

	Every so often a kernel function, vmtotal() is run.  It maintains
	the kernel data structure "total".  The things that it collects
	are:

	    Text:

		Virtual memory, active virtual memory, real memory,
		active real memory.

	    Non-text:

		Virtual memory, active virtual memory, real memory,
		active real memory.

	    Process states:

		On the run queue, in a high priority wait, in a
		page wait, sleeping, swapped.

	The stats "vm", "rm" and "arm" are the non-text virtual memory,
	real memory and active real memory.  How each is counted is
	below.

    Text

	For each member of the text table, the field x_size is total
	as the virtual text and the field rssize is total as the
	real text.  If the process status is ((SSTOP or SSLEEP) and
	p_slptime isn't less than maxslp) or the status SRUN or SIDL
	then the memory is considered active.

    Non-text (stack and data):

	For every process except those of type SSYS, if the status
	is non-zero then "vm" is the total of the data size and
	stack size.  Real memory, "rm" is the total of the resident
	set sizes, rsssiz.  If the process is considered active
	(see Text) then avm and arm are data plus stack and resident
	set size respectively.

    Processes:

	If there's interest I'll attempt to summarize the algorithm
	used to determine process states.
}

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com