[comp.unix.ultrix] BIND in Ultrix 4.X

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (03/31/91)

I am sure that this has probably been discussed, but I missed it.

Does the BIND distributed with Ultrix 4.X work correctly? Are one of the
versions available on the net better?

Please reply to me and I will summarize.
--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: rutgers!bcm!sob             and Systems Support

treese@crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (03/31/91)

The version of BIND in ULTRIX 4.x has some additional features, namely
Hesiod and Kerberos support, as well as some problems that are fixed in
later versions of BIND from Berkeley.

If you prefer a version based on 4.8.3 from Berkeley, I suggest you ftp
/pub/DEC/cra-bind.tar.Z from crl.dec.com or gatekeeper.dec.com.  This one
runs on ULTRIX (both RISC and VAX) just fine (although it does not have
various unofficial patches to 4.8.3 that have been posted to the net).

This is, of course, not an official Digital statement.

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.

jbryans@beach.csulb.edu (Jack Bryans) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar30.205459.301@crl.dec.com> treese@crl.dec.com (Win Treese) writes:
> The version of BIND in ULTRIX 4.x has some additional features, namely
> Hesiod and Kerberos support, as well as some problems that are fixed in
> later versions of BIND from Berkeley.

So, where amongst the 4.8's does Ultrix BIND lie, and where does it stand wrt
MX's & other modern conveniences?

Could it account for the hundreds of "MAXQUERIES exceeded" msgs we're getting
in our syslogs, or is that always necessarily the other end?

Jack

treese@crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (04/05/91)

In article <JBRYANS.91Apr1101439@beach.csulb.edu> jbryans@beach.csulb.edu (Jack Bryans) writes:

> So, where amongst the 4.8's does Ultrix BIND lie, and where does it stand wrt
> MX's & other modern conveniences?

The ULTRIX BIND has a long history, so it's hard to compare it to various
4.8 versions from Berkeley.  It's not up to 4.8.3, but it does have some
of the bug fixes since, say, 4.7.3, plus other changes made for ULTRIX.

It has full MX support and most "modern conveniences" I know of, modulo
some bugs that are still present.

> Could it account for the hundreds of "MAXQUERIES exceeded" msgs we're getting
> in our syslogs, or is that always necessarily the other end?

I believe some of the of the bugs might result in that, although I make
no guarantees.

A 4.8.3 distribution that we use on ULTRIX here at the lab is avilable by
ftp from crl.dec.com:/pub/DEC/cra-bind.tar.Z.  It has no Kerberos support,
and has limited support for Hesiod.  I'm not sure that it can be dropped in
to replace BIND if you're using the Hesiod functionality.

Use at your own risk.  Bug reports to cra-bind@crl.dec.com.