[comp.unix.ultrix] Also Interested: Future of VAX Ultrix

tarcea@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Glenn Tarcea) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar28.165219.14147@cl.cam.ac.uk> maj@cl.cam.ac.uk (Martyn Johnson) writes:
>I've heard it said that the OSF/1-based Ultrix 5.0 will be RISC only,
>and that VAX Ultrix will stick at version 4.<last>.  Can anyone with
>hard information confirm or deny this rumour?

  I too would be interested in hearing something about this. The school I
work at currently has as their main U*x system a 6000-310 (Slow, Slow, Slow).
If for some reason DEC is not going to continue to upgrade Ultrix on VAX systems
in the future I would like to know. I'd ask a sales rep, but we all know the
kind of answer I would get from them.

    -- glenn

frank@urz.unibas.ch (04/02/91)

In article <5596@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, tarcea@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Glenn Tarcea) writes:
> In article <1991Mar28.165219.14147@cl.cam.ac.uk> maj@cl.cam.ac.uk (Martyn Johnson) writes:
>>I've heard it said that the OSF/1-based Ultrix 5.0 will be RISC only,
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^
>>and that VAX Ultrix will stick at version 4.<last>.  Can anyone with
>>hard information confirm or deny this rumour?

I heard rumours that Dec is planning to quit VMS and move EVERYTHING to
Ultrix ... (no kidding, I realy heard this and it was a week before the
1st of April).

- Robert
.______________________________________________________________________________.
|                                                                              |
| _____   __  _____       Robert Frank                                         |
|   |    /      |         Institut fuer Informatik                             |
|   |    |      |         University of Basel, Switzerland                     |
|   |   -+-     |                                                              |
|   |    |      |         Mittlere Strasse 142                                 |
| __|__  |    __|__       CH-4056 Basel                                        |
|                                                                              |
| frank@urz.unibas.ch     tel. + (061) 321 99 67    fax + (061) 321 99 15      |
|______________________________________________________________________________|

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (04/02/91)

>I heard rumours that Dec is planning to quit VMS and move EVERYTHING to
>Ultrix ... (no kidding, I realy heard this and it was a week before the
>1st of April).

Hahahahaahhhahahahahahahhahahah

Oops... sorry... just that I've been doing UNIX in Digital a while now and
have developed a weird sense of humor.

Look, I'm not official, but the above statement is absolutely false.  Funny,
we've had to defend the fact that we support UNIX as well as VMS for years.
Now we might have to prove that we support VMS.  This is fun.

Anyway, Digital is most certainly:

	- writing new software for both operating systems (DEC FUSE, DEC VUIT,
	  the new DEC compilers coming out are good, recent examples of
	  these)

	- writing some software for other vendors' platforms as well
	  it seems

	- Supporting both VMS and UNIX (ULTRIX ---> OSF/1)

Fred

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (04/03/91)

>I heard rumours that Dec is planning to quit VMS and move EVERYTHING to
>Ultrix ... (no kidding, I realy heard this and it was a week before the
>1st of April).

   No, there is actually a new port of RT-11 for the Vax and DECStation
machines, see, and they are going to phase out Ultrix, see, because they
don't like the idea that just anyone can write software for their machines.
Not only that, they are tripling the size of the RT-11 documentation set
and adding on a $18,000 surcharge for delivery...

billg@bony1.bony.com (Bill Gripp) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr02.154943.6583@decuac.dec.com> avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>>I heard rumours that Dec is planning to quit VMS and move EVERYTHING to
>>Ultrix ... (no kidding, I realy heard this and it was a week before the
>>1st of April).

Do you have any swamp land or a bridge for sale???

>Hahahahaahhhahahahahahahhahahah
>

>Oops... sorry... just that I've been doing UNIX in Digital a while now and
>have developed a weird sense of humor.
>
>Look, I'm not official, but the above statement is absolutely false.  Funny,
>we've had to defend the fact that we support UNIX as well as VMS for years.
>Now we might have to prove that we support VMS.  This is fun.
>
>Anyway, Digital is most certainly:
>
>	- writing new software for both operating systems (DEC FUSE, DEC VUIT,
>	  the new DEC compilers coming out are good, recent examples of
>	  these)
>
>	- writing some software for other vendors' platforms as well
>	  it seems
>
>	- Supporting both VMS and UNIX (ULTRIX ---> OSF/1)
>
>Fred

Well the rumor that I've heard (and it is at least 6 months old)
is that over the long haul, DEC will gradually merge VMS and ULTRIX into
a singel OS which incorporates features of both, have CLI's for both, etc.

The result will be that either a VMS or UNIX type can sit down and use
it "without knowing" it's "both".

Then of course there is the other rumor that DEC will make VMS POSIX
compliant and so everybody will want VMS not UNIX.

And then...

mcmahon@tgv.com (John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr3.160216.23975@bony1.bony.com>, billg@bony1.bony.com (Bill Gripp) writes:

#Then of course there is the other rumor that DEC will make VMS POSIX
#compliant and so everybody will want VMS not UNIX.

I went to a Digital talk on VMS POSIX over a year ago at DECUS...  So the part
about VMS POSIX being a rumor is (most likely) fact.

--
John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon    :    MCMAHON@TGV.COM    : TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
TGV, Incorporated            :                       :    T   GGGGGGG  V     V

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr4.180035.19300@news.arc.nasa.gov> mcmahon@tgv.com writes:
>In article <1991Apr3.160216.23975@bony1.bony.com>, billg@bony1.bony.com (Bill Gripp) writes:
>
>#Then of course there is the other rumor that DEC will make VMS POSIX
>#compliant and so everybody will want VMS not UNIX.
>
>I went to a Digital talk on VMS POSIX over a year ago at DECUS...  So the part
>about VMS POSIX being a rumor is (most likely) fact.

No, it's a fact that DEC will be introducing POSIX compatibility libraries
for VMS.  It's a rumor that they will actually be compatible with anything.
--scott

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (04/09/91)

In <1991Apr3.160216.23975@bony1.bony.com> billg@bony1.UUCP (Bill Gripp) writes:
>Then of course there is the other rumor that DEC will make VMS POSIX
>compliant and so everybody will want VMS not UNIX.
VMS is already pretty POSIX-like at the programming level.

There are some documented routines that are missing (unlink), and some that
are real buggy (qsort), and their linker just blows the concept of extern ref/def
all to hell, but you can really write some fairly complicated code on VMS and
think you're programming under a good OS.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.