[comp.unix.ultrix] Those Reader's Comments cards

cks@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (04/06/91)

Ye Random Person @ DEC writes:
| 	Please send in an appropriately filled in Reader's Comments
| 	page from the back of the section.

 Ah yes, the wonderfull boasted-about (certainly is in the 'Read Before
Installing' thing I just got with RISC Fortran 2.0: "Digital prides
itself" etc) Reader's Comments form, so lovingly preaddressed and
postage-paid ... in the US.

 Try again, Digital.

[Moral: Small things count.]
--
	"There are ways of making a 386 PC very useful; installing
	 MS-DOS on it is not one of them."	- Pim Zandbergen

diamond@jit345.swstokyo.dec.com (Norman Diamond) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr5.173503.16397@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> cks@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
>Ye Random Person @ DEC writes:
>| 	Please send in an appropriately filled in Reader's Comments
>| 	page from the back of the section.
> Ah yes, the wonderfull boasted-about (certainly is in the 'Read Before
>Installing' thing I just got with RISC Fortran 2.0: "Digital prides
>itself" etc) Reader's Comments form, so lovingly preaddressed and
>postage-paid ... in the US.
> Try again, Digital.
>[Moral: Small things count.]

How could you afford the phone bill to make that posting?

If you're really desperate, maybe the company could be persuaded to
increase the price of each product by a couple of hundred yen and
attach postage stamps to the Reader's Comments forms at the back of
the manuals before shipping the products.  But I doubt it.
(Personal opinion only.)
--
Norman Diamond       diamond@tkov50.enet.dec.com

cks@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (04/09/91)

diamond@jit345.enet@tkou02.enet.dec.com (Norman Diamond) writes:
| How could you afford the phone bill to make that posting?

 I think you misunderstood. The point is not that it costs us some money
to respond; the point is that Digital is boasting about its wonderful
customer responsiveness and the postage-prepaid response form, only to
ignore Canadian customers. Perhaps Canadians are more sensetive to
things like this, since almost all US-based companies do it to us.

 At least they're not as bad as the companies who only give us
US-only 1-800 numbers in their ads.

--
"The GNU kernel will be orders of magnitude better than either [BSD or
 SysV], and even now has none of the nitty-gritty kernel details that

ef1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Esther Filderman) (04/09/91)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.unix.ultrix: 5-Apr-91 Those Reader's Comments
car.. Chris Siebenmann@hawkwin (613)

>  Ah yes, the wonderfull boasted-about (certainly is in the 'Read Before
> Installing' thing I just got with RISC Fortran 2.0: "Digital prides
> itself" etc) Reader's Comments form, so lovingly preaddressed and
> postage-paid ... in the US.

Gee, my favorite card from DEC are all the warranty cards we've gotten
with our DECstation 3100s ... in German.  Which I, I'm afraid,  don't
speak.

Fortunately, they take warranty info via the 800 number here ...

Esther C. Filderman     ef1c+@andrew.cmu.edu
System Manager          Library Automation
Mercury Project         Carnegie Mellon University
        They are gardeners and carpenters.
        They are not tomato men.