[comp.unix.ultrix] Problems with SLIP on Ultrix 4.0

larryd@bnrmtl.bnr.ca (Larry Dunkelman) (04/04/91)

I have slip running between a 5820 and 3100 running Ultrix 4.0. It has
been working fine until today.  All of a sudden, I started to get
the following :

/etc/ping eden
sendto: no buffer space available
ping: wrote eden 64 chars, ret=-1
.
.
.

ftp, telnet all give the same results.  What buffer space is it referring
to ?  What does one do at this point?  I posted a question a few days
ago about restarting 'slip' but I didn't get any replies.  It seems that
after a failure with slip, the only way to get things going again is to
reboot both machines.  This is quite painful when one of the machines is
being used by hoards of people.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Larry
larryd!bnrmtl@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

mra@searchtech.com (Michael Almond) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.210534.10734@scrumpy@.bnr.ca> larryd!bnrmtl@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (Larry Dunkelman) writes:

>All of a sudden, I started to get the following :
>
>/etc/ping eden
>sendto: no buffer space available
>ping: wrote eden 64 chars, ret=-1

The only solution I found, like you, is to reboot the system.  I suspect that
garbaged packets are causing problems.

--
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)          mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				            mra@searchtech.com

toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz (Toivo Pedaste) (04/04/91)

larryd@bnrmtl.bnr.ca (Larry Dunkelman) writes:

>I have slip running between a 5820 and 3100 running Ultrix 4.0. It has
>been working fine until today.  All of a sudden, I started to get
>the following :

>/etc/ping eden
>sendto: no buffer space available
>ping: wrote eden 64 chars, ret=-1
>.
>.
>.

I suppose I'll contribute some of my ignorance on the matter.

When we were running slip across a 2400 baud line this would occur at
times, in that case if you offed the interface for a while it would
eventually go away. On a couple of 9600 baud lines that were connected
directly to a uVax the problem didn't seem to occur, however when we
moved one of these lines onto a Decserver it started happening regularly.

My guess as to what is happening is the the buffer space refered to is
a per interface limit on the number of data buffers outstanding and
the message occurs when the data is being sent faster than it is able
to be transmitted. There is a problem that this condition is not recovered
from, possibly due to a bug in the networking code that doesn't usually show
up because it is generally possible to transmit onto the ethernet faster
than to send data into the network software.

I have query outstanding with Dec support on the matter, since it was Dec that
suggested the slip via decserver configuration would work.
--
	Toivo Pedaste				ACSNET:   toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz
	WARCC,					INTERNET: toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz.au

larryd@toby.bnr.ca (Larry Dunkelman) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr4.105809.12887@uniwa.uwa.oz> toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz (Toivo Pedaste) writes:
.
.
>My guess as to what is happening is the the buffer space refered to is
>a per interface limit on the number of data buffers outstanding and
>the message occurs when the data is being sent faster than it is able
>to be transmitted. There is a problem that this condition is not recovered
>from, possibly due to a bug in the networking code that doesn't usually show
>up because it is generally possible to transmit onto the ethernet faster
>than to send data into the network software.

When I first got slip up, I transmitted a 21MB file.  It was transferred
in about 7 hours (9.6K baud line) with an effective transfer rate of
0.86K bytes / second.  Not one packet error.  Both systems were idle
(except for the ftp).

My problems started when one of the systems had some load.  That doesn't
correlate well with your hypothesis but I have nothing better to offer.
It wouldn't be so bad if I could restart slip without rebooting both
systems.

By the way, does anyone know what the meaning of 'mtu' is (netstat -i) ?
For my slip interface (sl0) I get a 'mtu' of 1006.

Larry
larryd!bnrmtl@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
				  ^^^^^
				  this is not named after me; its friends are mo and curly.

D. Allen [CGL]) (04/09/91)

>>/etc/ping eden
>>sendto: no buffer space available
>>ping: wrote eden 64 chars, ret=-1

Yes, we get this sometimes on VS3100 Ultrix 3.1 VAX as well when we
temporarily unplug the Ethernet.  We have to push the reset button and
reboot to recover.
--
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada

vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.143251.3737@watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
>>>/etc/ping eden
>>>sendto: no buffer space available
>>>ping: wrote eden 64 chars, ret=-1
>
>Yes, we get this sometimes on VS3100 Ultrix 3.1 VAX as well when we
>temporarily unplug the Ethernet.  We have to push the reset button and
>reboot to recover.
>--
>-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu
> [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada

if you give some qualifiers to ping/ you can work around it.

/etc/ping hostname 56 1
(1 set of 56 byte packets)

--
Vince Skahan   vince@atc.boeing.com  ...uw-beaver!bcsaic!vince

(what is there in the construction of mobile homes that seems
	to attract tornadoes ??? )

jim@finnigan.UUCP (Jim Watt) (04/11/91)

The following (from Van Jacobson's installation notes on CSLIP) may well
be relevant:

|>    (a) If you don't have the network code from the 4.3-tahoe bsd release,
|>        get and install it -- Earlier TCP's are almost unusable over serial
|>    lines because of problems with timeouts and buffer overflow.
|>    (The code is available for anonymous ftp from ucbarpa.berkeley.edu,
|>    files pub/4.3/tcp.tar and inet.tar.)

I've been experimenting with dialupIP (highly recommended, available
from uunet via anonymous FTP), and am seeing massive retransmissions
under heavy load.

The reason dialupIP is worth looking at is that you *REALLY CAN* make and
break SLIP connections with it!  The package was done by BBN, and is very
well documented.  There are a few gotchas about "vax" versus "ultrix" in
some of the conditional code, but if you've been having trouble with DEC's
SLIP, take a look!

Jim
--
James G. Watt         Voice: +1 408 433 4800
Finnigan Corporation  355 River Oaks Pkwy.      San Jose CA 95134-1991