[comp.unix.ultrix] HELP: MODEM ON MVAX - IMPOSSIBLE ??

weis@netmbx.UUCP (Dietmar Weis) (04/11/91)

UNABLE TO RUN A MODEM ON A VAX, SHAME ON ME

This is a cry for help.

I have a 9600 bps modem attached to a serial port on a MVAX 3900, Ultrix 3.1,
in auto answer mode.

With default settings of the modem parameters and settings I usually successful
use on other hardware I run in trouble on the MVAX:

Getty says: open failed, operation would block

What I can see is, that DTR goes low for 60 seconds and high for 30 seconds, it
never continously stays high. (I've configured the modem with &D2)
CTS,RTS and DSR stay high.

My problem is: I get a CONNECT 9600/REL but the getty doesn't come thru' as
long DTR is low, sometimes you have to wait 60 seconds 'til the login prompt
appears. With &D0 there is no problem with DTR when logging in, but there won't
be a hangup on the line when exiting. Thats a mess as well.

For four months now I am looking for an explanation/solution.
Where is the fault ?

Device flags in the kernel config file, wrong /etc/ttys entry, wrong modem
setup ? Or what ?

Please help me.

Dietmar

PS: I hae similiar Problems on: DECserver200, MVAX II (VMS), MVAX 2000 (VMS
and Ultrix)

--
weis@netmbx.UUCP         | Dietmar Weis         DONOP CONSULT GmbH
Voice: 030/884 28 54-0   |                      Uhlandstrasse 179/180

mike@raven.bv.tek.com (Michael Ewan) (04/13/91)

In article <2233@netmbx.UUCP> weis@netmbx.UUCP (Dietmar Weis) writes:
>For four months now I am looking for an explanation/solution.
>Where is the fault ?
>
>Device flags in the kernel config file, wrong /etc/ttys entry, wrong modem
>setup ? Or what ?

Read the man page for dhv(4).  The default config file flags are set to
ignore carrier on the ttys.  Set the flags for the specific ports (or all
the ports for that matter) to 0.  Example: 0xfff0 would set the first 4
ports to respond to carrier, 0x0000 would set all the ports.

Mike

 Michael Ewan    (503)627-6468      Internet:  mike@raven.BV.TEK.COM
 Unix Systems Support                   UUCP:  ...!uunet!raven.bv.tek.com!mike
 Tektronix, Inc.                  Compuserve:  73747,2304
"Fig Newton: The force required to accelerate a fig 39.37 inches/sec."--J. Hart