[comp.unix.ultrix] lpr from Sun to DEC to lat printer...

cottrell@dlorsc.enet.dec.com (Ken Cottrell) (04/12/91)

Here is the setup:

I have a Sun 4 networked to a DECstation 3100 (via TCP/IP), and the same DS3100
is talking to a
laser printer via a LAT terminal server.  I set up the DS3100's printcap file so
that the DEC is able
to send files to the printer via PORT_7 on the terminal server, no problem. I
have also setup the
printcap file on the Sun, with the "rp" field pointing the corresponding
printername entry in the
DEC printcap file, and the SUN printcap entry "rm" pointing to the DEC hostname.

What we want to do use this command from the Sun to send files thru the Ultrix
box to the laser
printer:

	sun_host> lpr -Plat_printer filename

Things seem to be on the verge of working, but I  get a msg on the Sun  saying
that its waiting
for the queue to start on the DEC. Any ideas ? (I can run the lpr command on the
DEC to the lat
printer and it works)

(My apologies for not including the /etc/printcap files or the actual error
messages - I don't
have access to the machines right now)

Thanks,

Ken 214/404-6402

j1h9453@aim1.tamu.edu (Joel Huddleston) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr12.082435@dlorsc.enet.dec.com> cottrell@dlorsc.enet.dec.com (Ken Cottrell) writes:
>Things seem to be on the verge of working, but I  get a msg on the Sun  saying
>that its waiting
>for the queue to start on the DEC.
>Ken 214/404-6402

Ken:

Look in manual page lpd(8) on the ultrix machine.  It describes two
security files one of which must contain the name of the sun 4
machine that you wish to allow print access.  The hosts.equiv is the
more generic file allowing probably more access from the sun than you
would want.  The hosts.lpd file allows ONLY printer access and
nothing more.  See the man pages on either of these two files for
formats.

Another possibility is that you need to run lpc but I doubt it.

Hope this helps,

Joel Huddleston  eka j1h9453@zeus.tamu.edu
     Peace: Not just the absence of war but the absence of fear.
       War: Not just the absence of peace but the absence of cowardice.
Disclaimer: Not just the absence of blame but the absence of repsponsiblilty.