[comp.unix.ultrix] error: uqssp0 being reset

dave@wor-mein.UUCP (Dave Axness) (04/13/91)

I have a uVAX II running Ultrix 1.2 (no flames please).  While doing a
dump over the ethernet to an Exabyte on a SUN, I get the following message
on the console

	uqssp0 being reset

The system is hung and has to be rebooted.  Backups are done daily but
this only happens about once a week.

Can someone give me a clue as to what this error message might mean.

Thanks,

Dave Axness
Quantum Medical Systems, Inc.
Issaquah, WA

dave@qms.com  -or-  uunet!wor-mein!dave

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (04/13/91)

In article <2119@wor-mein.UUCP>, dave@wor-mein.UUCP (Dave Axness) writes:
> I have a uVAX II running Ultrix 1.2 (no flames please).  While doing a
> dump over the ethernet to an Exabyte on a SUN, I get the following message
> on the console
>
> 	uqssp0 being reset
>
> The system is hung and has to be rebooted.
>
> Can someone give me a clue as to what this error message might mean.

	The host expects to see activity from the disk controller
	within some timeout period.  If there isn't any activity
	it resets the controller and prints the message mentioned.
	What should happen is that the controller wakes up and goes
	on doing work.  Wha I've usually seen is that the controller
	never somes back, hence the hung system.

	It's almost certainly a hardware problem.

	UQSSP was the name of DSA protocol for talking to UNIBUS
	and Q-bus controllers.  The U and Q are UNIBUS and Q-bus,
	the rest is Storage System Port.  The controllers at the
	time of V1.2 that used UQSSP were the RQDX series, the
	UDA50, KDA50 and KDB50.  The integral controller of the
	RC25 was also a UQSSP port.  More recently the KDM70 was
	added to the family and the name changed to SSP since it
	had controllers on the VAXBI and XMI.

> Thanks,

	You're welcome.

--