[comp.unix.ultrix] SunOS/Ultrix NFS funny ...

shoat@.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr. David Shoat) (04/09/91)

Apologies if this has been on before (I reckon it must have). I'm trying to
mount some filesystems on an SLC running 4.1.1 from a DECsystem 5000 server
running Ultrix V4.01. RPC keeps giving me hassle and telling me that the
client credentials are wrong. NFS mounts work OK in the other direction and
I'm not using any funny security stuff. The mount daemon on the Ultrix server
doesn't even check internet addresses. Any ideas?

Thanks.

David Shoat
Dept. of Medical Cardiology
Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

markh@squirrel.LABS.TEK.COM (Mark C. Henderson) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.181949.26075@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk> shoat@.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr. David Shoat) writes:
>Apologies if this has been on before (I reckon it must have). I'm trying to
>mount some filesystems on an SLC running 4.1.1 from a DECsystem 5000 server
>running Ultrix V4.01. RPC keeps giving me hassle and telling me that the
>client credentials are wrong. NFS mounts work OK in the other direction and

Are you in more than 8 groups on the SLC?
If so, try reducing the number.

Mark
--
       Mark C. Henderson, Computer Research Laboratory, Tektronix, Inc.
             MS 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR 97077, U.S.A.

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.181949.26075@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk> shoat@.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr. David Shoat) writes:
>Apologies if this has been on before (I reckon it must have). I'm trying to
>mount some filesystems on an SLC running 4.1.1 from a DECsystem 5000 server
>running Ultrix V4.01. RPC keeps giving me hassle and telling me that the
>client credentials are wrong. NFS mounts work OK in the other direction and
>I'm not using any funny security stuff. The mount daemon on the Ultrix server
>doesn't even check internet addresses. Any ideas?

Make sure that root on the Sun is in 8 or fewer groups, otherwise
Ultrix will reject the mount request with the message you saw..  I've
never been able to find out if this is a Sun problem or Ultrix
problem.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

treese@crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (04/10/91)

Note that root's primary group from the passwd file may or may not have the
right corresponding entry in /etc/group (or in the YP or Hesiod maps), so
simply checking /etc/group might not give you the right answer.

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.

bill@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu (Bill Roth) (04/16/91)

In article <1002@crl.LABS.TEK.COM> markh@squirrel.LABS.TEK.COM (Mark C. Henderson) writes:
>In article <1991Apr8.181949.26075@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk> shoat@.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr. David Shoat) writes:
>>Apologies if this has been on before (I reckon it must have). I'm trying to
>>mount some filesystems on an SLC running 4.1.1 from a DECsystem 5000 server
>>running Ultrix V4.01. RPC keeps giving me hassle and telling me that the
>>client credentials are wrong. NFS mounts work OK in the other direction and
>
>Are you in more than 8 groups on the SLC?
>If so, try reducing the number.

 Is there any ggod way to troubleshoot NFS mounting problems? We're having trouble
mounting a DS3100 diskfrom a SPARCintosh, and root on the SPARC in not in more than
8 groups. Does the 8 group limitation apply to the DECSTATION?

Bill Roth,  University of Wisconsin Physical Sciences Laboratory
email: bill@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu bill@wiscpsl.bitnet   /  (608)-873-6651