[comp.unix.ultrix] ultrix 4.1 ftp doesn't deal with multihomed hosts properly

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (04/17/91)

ultrix 4.1 doesn't deal with hosts that have two addresses in the
right way.  an example should suffice.  poe is a 3100 running ultrix
4.1, leebai is a sun running sunos 4.1.

<emv@poe> telnet csc.ti.com
Trying...
telnet: connect to address 128.247.159.141: Network is unreachable
Trying 192.94.94.1...
Connected to csc.ti.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
melman.ti.com login:
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

<emv@poe> ftp csc.ti.com
ftp: connect: Network is unreachable
ftp> quit

<emv@leebai> ftp csc.ti.com
ftp: connect to address 128.247.159.141: Network is unreachable
Trying 192.94.94.1...
Connected to csc.ti.com.
220 melman.ti.com FTP server (Version 4.3 Mon Nov 7 10:54:41 CST 1988) ready.
Name (csc.ti.com:emv): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

Fix: buy Suns :-) or get a better ftp client; I suspect that the
recent Berkeley client would do the right thing.

--
 Msen	Edward Vielmetti
/|---	moderator, comp.archives

"With all of the attention and publicity focused on gigabit networks,
not much notice has been given to small and largely unfunded research
efforts which are studying innovative approaches for dealing with
technical issues within the constraints of economic science."
							RFC 1216

robm@ataraxia.Berkeley.EDU (Rob McNicholas) (04/19/91)

   From: emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
   Date: 17 Apr 91 16:43:45 GMT
   Sender: usenet@ox.com (Usenet News Administrator)

   ultrix 4.1 doesn't deal with hosts that have two addresses in the
   right way.

This has been a problem for me also.  I have a machine that I want to
act as an RIS server, but I need to install machines on two different
subnets.  Since I can't boot a machine that is on a different subnet
than the server[1], I thought I'd give my server an address on each
net, and then switch back and forth as the need arose.  This caused me
many problems, because a machine on a given net only got the address
on that net.  If the connectin timed out, it never tried the other
address.  4.3BSD does the right thing.

- Rob

[1] This is another complaint of mine, but I'm not sure if it's DEC's
fault; can bootp packets travel across a router?
--
Rob McNicholas			Computer Systems Support Group, U.C. Berkeley
robm@janus.berkeley.edu		....!ucbvax!janus!robm