[comp.unix.ultrix] help needed with UCX

phys009@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (04/17/91)

Hi folks

I have a ds5200 running ultrix 4.1 and a vax running VMS and UCX 1.3, and I
wanted to nfs serve some of the vms files to the ultrix system. I had
anticipated problems with the carriagecontrol in some files, but many unix
utilities plain dont work with the (unix) default directory set to a vms
directory exported by ucx. In particular the User Executive wont let me look at
the files, and crashes with a core dump.

Thee error is something like:
getwd: read error in .. -- can't start new shell

I suppose I have set something up wrong, and need to RTFM. Could someone point
me to the right M, or tell me what I have done wrong (or that I have
unreasonable expectations).

--
Bryan Lawrence

Voice: (44)(865)272930
Janet: uk.ac.ox.atm.isams::lawrence
Internet: lawrence@isams.dnet.nasa.gov
Mail:   Dept. Atmos. Physics., Clarendon Lab., Parks Rd, Oxford OX1 3PU. U.K.

diamond@jit345.swstokyo.dec.com (Norman Diamond) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr17.210645.480@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> lawrence@isams.dnet.nasa.gov writes:

>Thee error is something like:
>getwd: read error in .. -- can't start new shell

Since no one else has answered this, I will try to give a slight stab
with a very dull knife here.  The NFS system is often configured so
that a root client will have even fewer privileges than an ordinary
(unprivileged) user.  Partly this is to discourage clients from using
root, since they "should" use their actual userid, but it has side
effects.  For example, a root client might fail on a call to getwd()
because it can't follow the directory path back to the top (reading
the .. entry in each directory).

'Fraid I've never used UCX and don't know the correct answer to this
problem.  But if no one else can give an answer, then maybe putting
world read permission on some directories, or use of proxies in a
certain manner, might help.  As I said, just a stab with a dull knife.
--
Norman Diamond       diamond@tkov50.enet.dec.com

kellerman@tle.enet.dec.com (Jim Kellerman) (04/19/91)

phys009@csc.canterbury.ac.nz writes:
|> From: phys009@csc.canterbury.ac.nz
|> Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix,comp.sys.dec,comp.os.vms
|> Subject: help needed with UCX
|> Date: 17 Apr 91 09:06:45 GMT
|>

|> Hi folks
|>
|> I have a ds5200 running ultrix 4.1 and a vax running VMS and UCX 1.3, and I
|> wanted to nfs serve some of the vms files to the ultrix system. I had
|> anticipated problems with the carriagecontrol in some files, but many unix
|> utilities plain dont work with the (unix) default directory set to a vms
|> directory exported by ucx. In particular the User Executive wont let me look
at
|> the files, and crashes with a core dump.
|>
|> Thee error is something like:
|> getwd: read error in .. -- can't start new shell
|>
|> I suppose I have set something up wrong, and need to RTFM. Could someone
point
|> me to the right M, or tell me what I have done wrong (or that I have
|> unreasonable expectations).
|>
|> --
|> Bryan Lawrence
|>
|> Voice: (44)(865)272930
|> Janet: uk.ac.ox.atm.isams::lawrence
|> Internet: lawrence@isams.dnet.nasa.gov
|> Mail:   Dept. Atmos. Physics., Clarendon Lab., Parks Rd, Oxford OX1 3PU.
U.K.

The problem is usually one of protection. Either a directory somewhere in the
path does not have READ+EXECUTE access for the VMS UIC that UCX translates your
Unix uid to, or you have a directory that is owned by a VMS rights identifier.