[comp.unix.ultrix] SLIP under Ultrix 4.1

henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com (04/18/91)

Hello, good people,

I need to network one of our VAXes running Ultrix 4.1 with another Unix machine
at a remote site via SLIP.

After searching for SLIP support in the Ultrix documentation set I couldn't
find any reference to it.

Am I overlooking something? Or is SLIP something that doesn't come standard
with Ultrix 4.1? And while I'm asking questions, where could I look for
alternative's to DEC's implementation of SLIP (if any???)

Thanks in advance,

Javier Henderson
Engineering Services
Avnet Computer
Los Angeles, CA

henderson@hamavnet.com
{simpact,asylum,elroy,dhw68k}!hamavnet!henderson

steve@wattres.uucp (Steve Watt) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr17.181547.83@esvax.hamavnet.com> henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com writes:
>Hello, good people,

Good morning!

>I need to network one of our VAXes running Ultrix 4.1 with another Unix machine
>at a remote site via SLIP.

Good luck, at least with DEC's SLIP.

>After searching for SLIP support in the Ultrix documentation set I couldn't
>find any reference to it.

I think it may be in there somewhere...

>Am I overlooking something? Or is SLIP something that doesn't come standard
>with Ultrix 4.1? And while I'm asking questions, where could I look for
>alternative's to DEC's implementation of SLIP (if any???)

  While there *is* SLIP support (or is it unsupport; it's not officially
supported) in the Ultrix 4.1 link kit, I've had *MUCH* better luck with a neat
piece of code available from uunet:

ftp:/networking/dialupip2.0   and /networking/dialupip2.0.patch1
(I think; names from memory).

Dialup IP compiled and ran fairly cleanly on the DECstation, and the Ultrix
internals are (I think) similar enough that it should run easily on a
VAXstation as well.

Dialup IP allows you to specify what systems you talk to via SLIP, and makes
connections (through a reasonably nice scripting system) when a packet needs
to be delivered.  It the breaks the connection down after five minutes of no
traffic.

>Thanks in advance,

You're welcome.  Always happy to plug Dialup IP.  It's a neat package.

--
Steve Watt       steve@wattres.UUCP                  swatt@IBM.COM
          ...!decwrl!gigo!wattres!steve    ...!apple!claris!wattres!steve