[comp.unix.ultrix] Help! Font mismatch between X11R4 and X11R3

sankar@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Sankar Bala) (04/20/91)

I'm sorry if this article is not of relevance to this newsgroup as I couldn't
find a better one.

I have some applications developed in Sun OS 4.1 OSF/motif 1.0 (X11R4) which
I transferred to DEC ULTRIX 4.1 running DEC Windows/motif 1.0 (X11R3). The
application has some text trims, boxes etc. There seems to be a big mismatch
with text trims and boxes when it runs on X11R3. I suspect the reason could be
of different font libraries in X11R4 and X11R3. Can someone colud advice/suggest
me a way to get rid of the problem.

--------------
B. Sankar               |ACSnet:    sankar@bruce.cs.monash.oz
AUSTRALIA               |  UUnet:    sankar%bruce.cs.monash.oz@uunet.uu.net
                           |  ARPA:    sankar%bruce.cs.monash.oz@seismo.css.gov
Phone AH: +61-3-544-7573

muts@fysak.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers) (04/21/91)

sankar@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Sankar Bala) writes:

>I have some applications developed in Sun OS 4.1 OSF/motif 1.0 (X11R4) which
>I transferred to DEC ULTRIX 4.1 running DEC Windows/motif 1.0 (X11R3). The
>application has some text trims, boxes etc. There seems to be a big mismatch
>with text trims and boxes when it runs on X11R3. I suspect the reason could be
>of different font libraries in X11R4 and X11R3. Can someone colud advice/suggest
>me a way to get rid of the problem.

Throw out X11R3 (I don't understand why that is still being supplied) and
install X11R4 from mit which is available free, has ultrix 3.1 support
and does not have the terrible dx.. dec specific programs.
The only thing you have to change for ultrix 4.1 is the location
of two include files in the server code (easy to find) and fill in a macro
omitting the (int) typecast which would otherwise appear on the lhs of
--
Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fysap.fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         muts@fys.ruu.nl

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (04/21/91)

In article <muts.672171193@fysaj> muts@fysak.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers) writes:
>Throw out X11R3 (I don't understand why that is still being supplied) and
>install X11R4 from mit which is available free, has ultrix 3.1 support
>and does not have the terrible dx.. dec specific programs.
>The only thing you have to change for ultrix 4.1 is the location
>of two include files in the server code (easy to find) and fill in a macro
>omitting the (int) typecast which would otherwise appear on the lhs of

Note that the MIT X11R4 server will not run on systems using the PX, PXG
or PXG turbo graphics boards, so the above may not be the solution.

The DEC servers use a different font format than the MIT servers (pcf vs.
snf), so if you have fonts you need to move, the easiest way is to
get the bdf font format files and 1) use them with the DEC server, or
2) convert the bdf to pcf with dxfc (and make sure to run mkfontdir so
the server sees them).  I believe there are some utilities on
export.lcs.mit.edu to convert snf fonts back to bdf if you don't have
bdf files for the fonts.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu