[comp.unix.ultrix] MIT X Applications under 4.1

jac@zabriskie.berkeley.edu (Gordon Jacobs) (04/12/91)

I just upgraded to Ultrix 4.1 on a DECstation 3100 and
I run the mwm window manager (or twm sometimes). I have
changed my login window to be an xterm by modifying the ttys file.
I notice that for some of the MIT applications in /usr/bin/X11,
when they are closed with the "Close" entry on my window menu (to
quit the application), I get an endless stream of Error messages
from the Server related to XKillClient.  The application does not
die until I manually kill it from another window.  This is particularly
a problem when I run a script from my login window to start the
window manager and all of my xterms.  When I log out, the error
messages never end (unless I rlogin from another machine and kill all
of the hung applications)

Is this a known server problem and are there any solutions?
Thanks a lot,
Gordie Jacobs

jpyll@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Y. de Louraille) (04/23/91)

In article <2028@godzilla.tcs.com>, jac@zabriskie.berkeley.edu (Gordon Jacobs) writes:
> I just upgraded to Ultrix 4.1 on a DECstation 3100 and
> I run the mwm window manager (or twm sometimes). I have
> changed my login window to be an xterm by modifying the ttys file.
> I notice that for some of the MIT applications in /usr/bin/X11,
> when they are closed with the "Close" entry on my window menu (to
> quit the application), I get an endless stream of Error messages
> from the Server related to XKillClient.  The application does not

First of all, modifying the ttys file was extreme and not necessary.
All you had to do not to have the dxterm pop up by default was to have the following line in your own .Xdefaults:
*terminalEmulatorName:    xterm

Second, if you kill a Xprogram from the window manager, you will get messages telling you that the parent has died (the window manager does a reparenting) and the application should die by itself. Maybe there is a bug around that you have discovered if the ttys file does not have dxterm, who knows. I recommend that you reinstall/recuparate the original ttys, since what you want can be done on the user side very simply.
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: jpyll@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems