[comp.unix.ultrix] too many users

faustus@ygdrasil.Berkeley.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) (04/17/91)

This problem must have come up before...  I have a 3100 running 4.0.
After I log into my machine about 8 times, I get the message "too many
users: try again later".  I thought the way to make this go away was
"lmf reset" but it doesn't seem to work.  What should I do?  Is this
some sort of kernel compile-time constant?  Thanks,

	Wayne

frank@urz.unibas.ch (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.193417.25601@agate.berkeley.edu>, faustus@ygdrasil.Berkeley.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
> This problem must have come up before...  I have a 3100 running 4.0.
> After I log into my machine about 8 times, I get the message "too many
> users: try again later".  I thought the way to make this go away was
> "lmf reset" but it doesn't seem to work.  What should I do?  Is this
> some sort of kernel compile-time constant?  Thanks,
>
> 	Wayne

Yep, it is.
First you must have a license for more than 8 users.
(Type license as root on root to verify.)

Second you must specify a value greater or equal to the licens number-of-users
in the kernel configuration file. Called something like
/usr/sys/conf/vax/HOSTNAME or
/usr/sys/conf/mips/HOSTNAME. Set the line maxusers        xx to the appropriate
value.

Last "doconfig".

 .____________________________________________________________________________.
 | _____   __  _____       Robert Frank                                       |
 |   |    /      |         Institut fuer Informatik                           |
 |   |    |      |         University of Basel, Switzerland                   |
 |   |   -+-     |                                                            |
 |   |    |      |         Mittlere Strasse 142                               |
 | __|__  |    __|__       CH-4056 Basel                                      |
 | frank@urz.unibas.ch     tel. + (061) 321 99 67    fax + (061) 321 99 15    |
 |____________________________________________________________________________|

frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (04/17/91)

> This problem must have come up before...  I have a 3100 running 4.0.
> After I log into my machine about 8 times, I get the message "too many
> users: try again later".  I thought the way to make this go away was
> "lmf reset" but it doesn't seem to work.  What should I do?  Is this
> some sort of kernel compile-time constant?  Thanks,

It sounds like you have an eight user license.  If you login, rlogin, telnet,
etc., into your machine eight separate times, that's eight users.  The system
counts the number of logins;  each login is one user.  If you need more than
one terminal session, but don't want to login again, you can fork off xterms
or dxterms with the DISPLAY set back to some X display device.

					Frank

jpyll@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Y. de Louraille) (04/19/91)

> > After I log into my machine about 8 times, I get the message "too many
> > users: try again later".  I thought the way to make this go away was

> It sounds like you have an eight user license.  If you login, rlogin, telnet,
> one terminal session, but don't want to login again, you can fork off xterms
> or dxterms with the DISPLAY set back to some X display device.
>
> 					Frank

Frank is right in principle, but "you don't have to login again" is wrong since you don't have to login at all! We have plenty of DECstation 3100 with only 2 user-licenses and we access them all remotely by rsh'ing.
example: xhost + remote; rsh remote xterm -d $YOURDISPLAY &
On some of our machines, if you do w, even though we have a 2 user license, you might see 10+ users!
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: jpyll@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr17.105520.1507@urz.unibas.ch> frank@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>First you must have a license for more than 8 users.
>(Type license as root on root to verify.)

	When I type "license" as root, I get the answer:

		System supports 2 users (the default).

But this is wrong -- we have an unlimited users license.  (Ultrix 4.0.)

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

frank@urz.unibas.ch (04/22/91)

In article <8061@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
> In article <1991Apr17.105520.1507@urz.unibas.ch> frank@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>>First you must have a license for more than 8 users.
>>(Type license as root on root to verify.)
>
> 	When I type "license" as root, I get the answer:
>
> 		System supports 2 users (the default).
>
> But this is wrong -- we have an unlimited users license.  (Ultrix 4.0.)

O.K. looks like the RISC and VAXstations have different Ultrixes than "normal"
VAXS. There is, however, a so called license management facility lmf which
handles all kinds of licenses (at leas on our VAX).
Try typing (as root)       lmf list       and see what you get there. I get
something like:
# lmf list
Product                   Status                     Users: Total      Active

ULTRIX                    active                            16         6
DECNET-ULTRIX             active                            unlimited

If this doesn't apply to your system, then you realy must have something else
than we do.

 .____________________________________________________________________________.

In article <1991Apr22.174733.1519@urz.unibas.ch> frank@urz.unibas.ch writes:
> In article <8061@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
> > In article <1991Apr17.105520.1507@urz.unibas.ch> frank@urz.unibas.ch writes:
> >>First you must have a license for more than 8 users.
> >>(Type license as root on root to verify.)
> > But this is wrong -- we have an unlimited users license.  (Ultrix 4.0.)
> >
> O.K. looks like the RISC and VAXstations have different Ultrixes than "normal"
> VAXS. There is, however, a so called license management facility lmf which
> handles all kinds of licenses (at leas on our VAX).
> If this doesn't apply to your system, then you realy must have something else
> than we do.

LMF is new with Ultrix 4.x - previous versions used a "simple" license key
file mechanism.  For compatibilty, newer versions can still use the old key
files for the user limit, in addition to LMF facilities.

In this case, an administrator may never of had any reason to use LMF.  Also,
I don't know that LMF knows about the license keys and might report a lower
user limit than really pertains...