[comp.unix.ultrix] RARP daemon on Ultrix 4.1

rcjoep@tue.nl (Joep Brand) (04/26/91)

Hello all,

I'm having problems running the rarp daemon on a DECstation 3100
running Ultrix 4.1. I've installed the /etc/ethers file and added
the nodes to the /etc/hosts file.

When I try to start it, it just dumps core, without any error message
and exits. The Packet Filter doesn't seem to be the trouble because
"pfstat" run's fine.

Did someone else run into this problem ?

Thanks,

-Joep
--
Joep Brand, Eindhoven University of Technology
Computing Centre 1.64,  +31 40 474394

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (04/27/91)

In article <1801@tuegate.tue.nl> rcjoep@tue.nl (Joep Brand) writes:
>I'm having problems running the rarp daemon on a DECstation 3100
>running Ultrix 4.1. I've installed the /etc/ethers file and added
>the nodes to the /etc/hosts file.

rarpd is broken in 4.1.  DEC has a fixed rarpd and a kernel module
you need to replace (and rebuild the kernel) to make it work.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci