[comp.unix.ultrix] How to make dump not rewind the tape?

kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) (04/25/91)

I have found that the dump command always rewinds the tape when it is
done.  Is there a way of having dump not rewind when it finishes?

Thanks

Peter Kocks
pkocks@chemistry.stanford.edu

davew@viper.gvg.tek.com (David White) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.192745.19638@leland.Stanford.EDU>,
kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:
|>I have found that the dump command always rewinds the tape when it is
|>done.  Is there a way of having dump not rewind when it finishes?

Use the norewind tape device /dev/nrmt0h.  This will allow you to get
multiple dumps on one tape.

----------
Dave White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   VOICE: +1 916.478.3052
P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945    FAX: +1 916.478.3887
Internet: davew@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com
UUCP: ...uunet!tektronix!gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com!davew

bill@banana.fedex.com (bill daniels) (04/25/91)

kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:

>I have found that the dump command always rewinds the tape when it is
>done.  Is there a way of having dump not rewind when it finishes?
>Thanks
>Peter Kocks
>pkocks@chemistry.stanford.edu

You can more than likely specify the no-rewind tape device, ie. /dev/nrmt0h.
This will allow you to concatenate dumps on a single large tape such as
8mm or 4mm.

Try something like this:

dump 0uf /dev/nmt0h / ; dump 0uf /dev/rmt0h /usr
mt rewind
restore tf /dev/nrmt0h ; mt fsf ; restore tf /dev/rmt0h

bill
--
these ravings are in no way sanctioned by federal express corp
bill daniels			| voice:  (901)797-6328

marler@cse.uta.edu (T. Gordon Marler) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr25.131610.7528@banana.fedex.com> bill@banana.fedex.com (bill daniels) writes:
>kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:
>

>You can more than likely specify the no-rewind tape device, ie. /dev/nrmt0h.
>This will allow you to concatenate dumps on a single large tape such as
>8mm or 4mm.
>
>Try something like this:
>
>dump 0uf /dev/nmt0h / ; dump 0uf /dev/rmt0h /usr
>mt rewind
>restore tf /dev/nrmt0h ; mt fsf ; restore tf /dev/rmt0h
>
>bill

	What happens if the file system you are dumping to this tape runs
off the end of the tape and has to continue on another?  Will it give you
problems when you try to restore it later?

Gordon Marler
System Manager
Center for Computational Biomechanics
UT Arlington

Somewhere there's danger, Somewhere there's injustice,
	and somewhere else the tea is getting cold.