[comp.unix.ultrix] adding memory to Vaxstation II/RC: do I need to rebuild Ultrix?

mlevin@jade.tufts.edu (05/04/91)

 Please reply to mlevin@jade.tufts.edu. I have a VaxStation II/RC,
with two 4 Meg memory boards. I want to replace one of these with an 8
Meg memory board. Once I do, do I need to rebuild Ultrix again, or can
I simply turn it on after that? And, what about the swap space - do I
need to make that bigger to match the bigger memory? If so, how? I
would greatly appreciate any help on the matter.

Mike Levin

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May4.140144.22763@athena.mit.edu>, mlevin@jade.tufts.edu writes:

>  Please reply to mlevin@jade.tufts.edu.

	I'll try.

> I have a VaxStation II/RC, with two 4 Meg memory boards. I want to
> replace one of these with an 8 Meg memory board. Once I do, do I
> need to rebuild Ultrix again, or can I simply turn it on after
> that?

	At least for ULTRIX V4.x and V3.x there was only interesting
	value for physmem in the configuration file; 64 MB.  Under
	64 MB the system page table would be sized one way and above
	that it would be sized another.  I think that was the only
	place it would be used.

	For documentation purposes it probably wouldn't be a bad
	idea to update the configuration file, but there's no
	need to rebuild the kernel.

> And, what about the swap space - do I need to make that bigger
> to match the bigger memory? If so, how? I would greatly appreciate
> any help on the matter.

	IF your memory usage habits don't change and you're not
	running out of page/swap space now, it's unlikely you'll
	run out of page/swap space after adding memory.  Hopefully
	you'll just page less.  The problem is that "IF".  Once
	you discover you have the memory to spare, you'll probably
	find a way to use more.  At that point you may find your-
	self with an "out of core" message and you'll need to config-
	ure more page/swap space.

> Mike Levin

	"Applications will expand to consume all available resources."
--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com