[comp.unix.ultrix] etherfind like program for Ultrix4.x

franco@bbn.com (Frank A. Lonigro) (05/02/91)

Is there a program out there I can ftp for Ultrix that does what etherfind
does on SUNs?  I'd like it to work on DECsystems and VAXsystems.

Any pointers to such a utility would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-franco

Frank A. Lonigro	     (franco@bbn.com, ...!harvard!bbn!franco)
Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc., 10 Moulton St., Cambridge, Mass. 02138
"e, s, s, s, n, e, e, nw, get chest, se, n, d" - Sound familiar??????

mogul@pa.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (05/07/91)

In article <63994@bbn.BBN.COM> franco@bbn.com (Frank A. Lonigro) writes:
>Is there a program out there I can ftp for Ultrix that does what etherfind
>does on SUNs?  I'd like it to work on DECsystems and VAXsystems.

The "tcpdump" program (from Lawrence Berkeley Labs) is based on etherfind,
but much improved.  The latest release works on Ultrix 4.0 systems and later.

You can FTP it from gatekeeper.dec.com:pub/net/tcpdump-2.0.tar.Z

Your Ultrix kernel has to be configured to include the "packetfilter"
pseudo-device (this is NOT the default), you must have done
"cd /dev ; MAKEDEV pfilt" to create the necessary file system entries,
and you must run "/usr/etc/pfconfig +p -a" (as super-user) after each
reboot (i.e., in your /etc/rc.local file).

-Jeff

toivo@antlia.cc.uwa.oz.au (Toivo Pedaste) (05/07/91)

mogul@pa.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) writes:

>In article <63994@bbn.BBN.COM> franco@bbn.com (Frank A. Lonigro) writes:
>>Is there a program out there I can ftp for Ultrix that does what etherfind
>>does on SUNs?  I'd like it to work on DECsystems and VAXsystems.

>The "tcpdump" program (from Lawrence Berkeley Labs) is based on etherfind,
>but much improved.  The latest release works on Ultrix 4.0 systems and later.

Note, there is a problem with using tcpdump and Ultrix 4.1 if you are using
LAT. To run tcpdump usefully you have to put the interface into promiscuous
mode, this results in lat not working on any other system on the ethernet,
presumably because the ultix system is now replying as well. The problem
doesn't go away until you reboot the ultrix system.
--
 Toivo Pedaste                        Email:  toivo@antlia.cc.uwa.oz.au
 WARCC,                               Phone:  +61 9 380 2605