[comp.unix.ultrix] gcc vs. cc -O3 on mips ultrix

hirai@cs.swarthmore.edu (Eiji Hirai) (05/08/91)

gedetil@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (Gilbert E. Detillieux) writes:
> The only problem I had with the installation was trying to compile the
> thing with Gnu C, rather than the standard C compiler

Speaking of which, I have a question that might've been asked before but...
Is there any strong performance comparisons that would make me want to use
cc -O3 on MIPS Ultrix (4.1 on DECstation 5000/200) instead of gcc -O?
Should I blindly believe the trade rags that say the DEC folks speeded up
the C compiler or should I go with the old Gnu standby?

--
Eiji Hirai @ Mathematics Dept., Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA, USA
email: hirai@cs.swarthmore.edu    I don't speak for Swarthmore College.