[comp.unix.ultrix] packetfilter and LAT bug

farrell@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Phil Farrell) (05/10/91)

In article <tih.673686101@barsoom> tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo)
writes:
>I set up my packet filter to run in promiscuous mode here yesterday, on
>a 5000/200 with 4.1, and our whole VAXcluster (VMS) started crashing like
>nobody's business...  I've heard that promiscuous mode will break LAT if
>you've got LAT installed on the Ultrix host running it, which I haven't,
>but I'm wondering if it still may have been my experimenting that killed
>the VAXen.  We use LAT very extensively, in fact 3 out of every 4 packets
>on our ethernet are LAT packets.  Anybody know anything about it?

In reference to an unrelated kernel problem on my DECsystem 5810
running RISC Ultrix, I saw (but was not able to copy) one of those DEC
"for internal use only" memos listing all current patches to RISC
Ultrix 4.1.  One of them was a kernel patch that specifically addressed
this issue of promiscuous mode packet filter incompatibility with LAT.
I don't even recall the name of the routine, unfortunately, but I think
it is time for everyone who has reported this problem on the net to
start harassing DEC Ultrix support to get this patch.

-Phil Farrell, Computer Systems Manager
Stanford University School of Earth Sciences
farrell@pangea.stanford.edu