[comp.unix.ultrix] extract single file from subset?

perf@efd.lth.se (Per Foreby) (05/09/91)

Is it possible to extract a single file from a setld subset?
--
Per Foreby (perf@efd.lth.se) Lund Institute of Technology, Sweden

robm@ataraxia.Berkeley.EDU (Rob McNicholas) (05/10/91)

In article <PERF.91May9155302@osiris.efd.lth.se> perf@efd.lth.se (Per
Foreby) writes:
   Is it possible to extract a single file from a setld subset?

Most subsets are just compressed tar files, so

	cat SUBSET | uncompress | tar tvf -

will give you a listing of the contents.  Then, replace the
	tar tvf -
with an extract command ('tar xpvf - FILE') to extract a specific
file.

The ROOT subset however seems to be in 'dump' format.  Use 'restore'
to extract from this file.

Also, I think making the subsets compressed is a relatively new
feature, so do a 'file' on the subset first to make sure it's
compressed.

-Rob
--
Rob McNicholas			Computer Systems Support Group, U.C. Berkeley
robm@janus.berkeley.edu		....!ucbvax!janus!robm

In article <ROBM.91May9154705@ataraxia.Berkeley.EDU> robm@ataraxia.Berkeley.EDU (Rob McNicholas) writes:
> In article <PERF.91May9155302@osiris.efd.lth.se> perf@efd.lth.se (Per
> Foreby) writes:
>    Is it possible to extract a single file from a setld subset?
>

> Most subsets are just compressed tar files, so
> 	cat SUBSET | uncompress | tar tvf -
> will give you a listing of the contents.  Then, replace the
> 	tar tvf -
> with an extract command ('tar xpvf - FILE') to extract a specific
> file.

It's also worth pointing out that the various files in /usr/etc/subsets
contain directory information which gives the location of the files on
the distribution media.  It's not too hard to figure out and is documented
more or less directly in the "setld" section of the documentation set.