[comp.unix.ultrix] man page for msgs

hudson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Hudson) (05/02/91)

Included in Ultrix 4.0 is a utility 'msgs' which I understand is similar
in function to the SysV utility 'news'.  Does anyone have documentation for
this utility (e.g., online man page)?

The path is /usr/ucb/msgs.

Thanks!

jdh

mogul@wrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.212450.14442@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> hudson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Hudson) writes:
>Included in Ultrix 4.0 is a utility 'msgs' which I understand is similar
>in function to the SysV utility 'news'.  Does anyone have documentation for
>this utility (e.g., online man page)?

This is an ancient program (the current sources are dated in 1983); the
online manual page should be present in your Ultrix 4.0 system.  The
description (in the Ultrix 4.2 version of the manual page, anyway) reads:
     The msgs command is used to read system messages.  These
     messages are sent by mailing to the login ``msgs'' and
     should be short pieces of information that are suitable to
     be read once by most users of the system.
and so you probably would do better to use USENET news.

-Jeff

dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil (dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil -- harv) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May1.212450.14442@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
                hudson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Hudson) writes:
> Included in Ultrix 4.0 is a utility 'msgs' which I understand is similar
> in function to the SysV utility 'news'.  Does anyone have documentation for
> this utility (e.g., online man page)?
>
> The path is /usr/ucb/msgs.
>
> Thanks!
>
> jdh
/usr/man/man1/msgs.1
should be there is you have loaded the ULXMAN400 set

harv                         dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil