[comp.unix.ultrix] Editor with DecWindows

robert@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Robert Evans) (05/02/91)

I don't want to start any religious wars, but what editor do you use
with DecWindows?

I've been looking at DecStations with a view to purchase and can't find
a window-based editor.  Our local DEC sales people tell me they use
"vi" in a dxterm window if they're using an Ultrix workstation.  This
is not a window-based editor though.  That would be one which allows
mouse interaction for positioning the cursor, cut and paste etc.
Have I missed some DecWindows utility?  (We don't have any
documentation, of course).  Isn't there anything that's similar to
Sun's textedit in it or in the Public Domain.  How well does the X
version of GNU emacs work under DecWindows?  Can you cut, paste &
position with the mouse in that?
--
  Robert Evans, Dept of Computing Maths, University of Wales College of Cardiff,
  PO Box 916, Cardiff, Wales, UK, CF2 4YN.  Tel: +44 (0)222 874000 x 5518

gringort@wsl.dec.com (Joel Gringorten) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.150153.18386@cm.cf.ac.uk>, robert@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Robert Evans) writes:
|> I don't want to start any religious wars, but what editor do you use
|> with DecWindows?

dxnotepad.

|> I've been looking at DecStations with a view to purchase and can't find
|> a window-based editor.  Our local DEC sales people tell me they use
|> "vi" in a dxterm window if they're using an Ultrix workstation.

Fools.  You can quote me on that.  :-)

Notepad offers the following features:

1)  journalling
2)  multiple screen splits
3)  Filter Selections (the ability to pipe the selection thru a shell command)
4)  Automatic File locking

Notepad is based on the Text widget.  This means that it has the same editing
paradigm as all the other text fields in other applications (like dxmail and xrn.)
The text widget allows you to customize its key bindings.  I set mine up like
emacs.  Once you do this, the bindings show up in all text widgets in all apps.

I especially like the use of filter selections.  You specify filters in your
.Xdefaults file and the buttons that represent them show up in your Edit menu.
A filter specification contains the button name and shell command to execute.
Those buttons can then be bound to keys via keyboard accelerators.  You can
have keyboard buttons for such neat things as block indents, filling, C
beautify, whatever.

Notepad does have some limitations.  It has only one file context per
instance of the application.  But the idea is in a windowing environment,
this is tolerable.  The icon names contain the current filename so your window
manager sort of manages your buffers.

-joel

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.150153.18386@cm.cf.ac.uk>, robert@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Robert Evans) writes:
>I don't want to start any religious wars, but what editor do you use
>with DecWindows?

(DECwindows?  Yuck.  Get Motif or TWM.)

>How well does the X version of GNU emacs work under DecWindows?  Can
>you cut, paste & position with the mouse in that?

DECwindows is X.  GNU Emacs works fine under DECwindows, Motif,
OpenLook, TWM, you name it.  Mouse cut/paste/position is no problem.
There's even a version of GNU Emacs called Epoch that's especially
suited for X, using multiple windows and providing easy selection of
fonts, colors, and cursors.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  It will be a great day when our schools have
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    all the money they need and the Air Force

mbelshe@gauss.elee.calpoly.edu (Mike Belshe) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.150153.18386@cm.cf.ac.uk>, robert@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Robert Evans) writes:

|> I don't want to start any religious wars, but what editor do you use
|> with DecWindows?
|>
|> I've been looking at DecStations with a view to purchase and can't find
|> a window-based editor.  Our local DEC sales people tell me they use
|> "vi" in a dxterm window if they're using an Ultrix workstation.  This
|> is not a window-based editor though.  That would be one which allows
|> mouse interaction for positioning the cursor, cut and paste etc.
|> Have I missed some DecWindows utility?  (We don't have any
|> documentation, of course).  Isn't there anything that's similar to
|> Sun's textedit in it or in the Public Domain.  How well does the X
|> version of GNU emacs work under DecWindows?  Can you cut, paste &
|> position with the mouse in that?
|> --

how about dxnotepad?  It is a simple editor - but it does have cut and paste and things.

--
Mike Belshe
mbelshe@gauss.elee.calpoly.edu

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May2.151251@wsl.dec.com>, gringort@wsl.dec.com (Joel Gringorten) writes:
>In article <1991May2.150153.18386@cm.cf.ac.uk>, robert@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Robert Evans) writes:
>|> I don't want to start any religious wars, but what editor do you use
>|> with DecWindows?
>
>|> I've been looking at DecStations with a view to purchase and can't find
>|> a window-based editor.  Our local DEC sales people tell me they use
>|> "vi" in a dxterm window if they're using an Ultrix workstation.

[most stuff cut]

Uh, this might be a really dumb question and open me up to flames, but...

Why doesn't the Ultrix group port (if such a thing could be done) EVE to
Ultrix and bundle it in with the Ultrix release? I know I can go third-party,
but...geepers... for we VMS maggots who have to walk into the ULTRIX world, it
would be a great help (instead of using vi, or GNU-pig-EMACS)....

     Signature envy: quality of some people to put 24+ lines in their .sigs
  -- >                  SYSMGR@CADLAB.ENG.UMD.EDU                        < --

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May3.123357.19598@cs.utk.edu> de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) writes:

| >How well does the X version of GNU emacs work under DecWindows?  Can
| >you cut, paste & position with the mouse in that?
|
| DECwindows is X.  GNU Emacs works fine under DECwindows, Motif,
| OpenLook, TWM, you name it.  Mouse cut/paste/position is no problem.

... except that you cannot cut&paste between DECwindows applications
(like DECterm) and standard X11 applications (like GNU Emacs/Epoch)
since DECwindows uses a different cut/paste mechanism.

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.132302.11959@pronto.mh.nl>, jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
|> ... except that you cannot cut&paste between DECwindows applications
|> (like DECterm) and standard X11 applications (like GNU Emacs/Epoch)
|> since DECwindows uses a different cut/paste mechanism.

I've had no trouble with cut and paste between DECwindows applications,
Motif applications, MIT applications, and other public domain
applications.  You do have to remember that different applications may
have different look & feels, meaning that different key/button
combinations activate the cut & paste.

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

gringort@wsl.dec.com (Joel Gringorten) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.132302.11959@pronto.mh.nl>, jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:

|> ... except that you cannot cut&paste between DECwindows applications
|> (like DECterm) and standard X11 applications (like GNU Emacs/Epoch)
|> since DECwindows uses a different cut/paste mechanism.

This isn't true.  DECwindows uses the same selection mechanism as MIT.

I regularly cut and paste between DEC and MIT apps and it works just fine.

Have you actually tried this?

-joel

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.123655@wsl.dec.com> gringort@wsl.dec.com (Joel Gringorten) writes:

> This isn't true.  DECwindows uses the same selection mechanism as MIT.
> I regularly cut and paste between DEC and MIT apps and it works just fine.
> Have you actually tried this?

Yes. And I stopped using it since I get unpredictable results.
Sometimes I can select (= make black) a piece of text and paste it
into some other window, at other times I get the results of a previous
yank instead. And then, dxterm has its own Copy/Paste that uses a
different selection buffer that cannot be pasted in other (MIT-based)
windows. Try to explain that to novice users.

It may work for you, but it is counter-intuitive to me.

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv
Doesburgweg 7, 2803 PL Gouda, The Netherlands  phone/fax: +31 1820 62911/62500
------------------------ "Arms are made for hugging" -------------------------

la_carle@sol.brispoly.ac.uk (Les Carleton) (05/08/91)

In article <009480D6.D067D740@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:

   [most stuff cut] -- again!

   Uh, this might be a really dumb question and open me up to flames, but...

   Why doesn't the Ultrix group port (if such a thing could be done) EVE to
   Ultrix and bundle it in with the Ultrix release? I know I can go third-party
   but...geepers... for we VMS maggots who have to walk into the ULTRIX world,it
   would be a great help (instead of using vi, or GNU-pig-EMACS)....

Life can be tough for a VMS Maggot :-)

I belive this is what has been said inside DEC for many years now. The
VMS people want it ... the Ultrix people want them to use vi (or
better still Emacs (which now has an EVE/EDT mode available on the
net)).

Watch this space ... your prayers may very soon be answered.

...Les...
"Unix Maggot"

la_carle@sol.brispoly.ac.uk (Les Carleton) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May6.123655@wsl.dec.com> gringort@wsl.dec.com (Joel Gringorten) writes:

>> This isn't true.  DECwindows uses the same selection mechanism as MIT.
>> I regularly cut and paste between DEC and MIT apps and it works just fine.
>> Have you actually tried this?
>
>Yes. And I stopped using it since I get unpredictable results.
>Sometimes I can select (= make black) a piece of text and paste it
>into some other window, at other times I get the results of a previous
>yank instead. And then, dxterm has its own Copy/Paste that uses a
>different selection buffer that cannot be pasted in other (MIT-based)
>windows. Try to explain that to novice users.

I think you'll find that newer DECwindows apps may use a DECwindows
clipboard instead of the MIT one (may be the wrong term but I am
referring to the buffer where cut text is stored in the X server).
Cutting and pasting between DX apps and X apps worked fine until v4,
but I remember getting some problems after that upgrade.

...Les...
"Trying to master Sunview and failing"

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (05/10/91)

In article <LA_CARLE.91May8195227@sol.brispoly.ac.uk> la_carle@sol.brispoly.ac.uk (Les Carleton) writes:
>I think you'll find that newer DECwindows apps may use a DECwindows
>clipboard instead of the MIT one (may be the wrong term but I am
>referring to the buffer where cut text is stored in the X server).
>Cutting and pasting between DX apps and X apps worked fine until v4,
>but I remember getting some problems after that upgrade.

I just tried cutting and pasting between an X11R4 xterm window and
a dxterm window (both ways) and it worked fine.  I'm running Ultrix 4.1
on a DS5000/200 PX system with twm as the window manager.  I was also
able to cut from the session manager window and paste into an xterm
window.  Granted that this is a small sample, but it does work.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

trost@reed.edu (05/10/91)

In article <1991May6.132302.11959@pronto.mh.nl>, jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
    ... except that you cannot cut&paste between DECwindows
    applications (like DECterm) and standard X11 applications (like
    GNU Emacs/Epoch) since DECwindows uses a different cut/paste
    mechanism.

Careful what you say there -- emacs is probably the one at fault
there, since you can't cut and paste between emacs and, say, xterm or
xedit.  To be precise:

There are two methods for exchanging information between X clients,
cutbuffers and selections.  Emacs only uses cut buffers; specifically,
it writes its string out to the CUT_BUFFER0 property on "the" root
window.

With the other method, a client (like xterm) takes ownership
of the selection (in this case, the PRIMARY selection); when someone
wants the contents of the selection, xterm receives a SelectionRequest
(I think) event and then is expected to put the information in a
property on a window specified in the event.

Then, when a standard X client like xterm is trying to "paste", the
first thing it does is ask for the PRIMARY selection.  If no one owns
it, or if it doesn't get a reply in a "reasonable" amount of time (2
seconds or so), it gives up and uses the CUT_BUFFER0 instead.

Emacs will use both when version 19 comes out (how many times have we
heard *that* one?  :-)  ).

lutmann@geocub.UUCP (Patrice LUTMANN) (05/13/91)

In article <28218a84.3224@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> mbelshe@gauss.elee.calpoly.edu (Mike Belshe) writes:
>In article <1991May2.150153.18386@cm.cf.ac.uk>, robert@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Robert Evans) writes:
>|> I don't want to start any religious wars, but what editor do you use
>|> with DecWindows?
>|> [...]
>how about dxnotepad?  It is a simple editor - but it does have cut and paste and things.

	Gasp!
	Simple, yes, but...
	Just a little "ps ux" with dxnotepad... after one minute of use.

USER       PID %CPU %MEM   SZ  RSS TT STAT  TIME COMMAND
[...]
pat       7703  0.1 23.1 3576 2780 p6 S     0:10 dxnotepad
			  /\   /\
			  ||   ||
    			 AAARRGHHH

	That's all Folks!