[comp.unix.ultrix] /usr/new/lib/mh/slocal crashes

windley@ted.cs.uidaho.edu (Phillip J. Windley) (05/14/91)

I am using a DS5000/200PX running Ultrix 4.1.  When I execute the MH
program /usr/new/lib/mh/slocal, I get a core dump.  Am I doing something
stupid, or is this a known bug?  Is there a workaround?

Thanks.

--phil--

--
Phil Windley                          |  windley@cs.uidaho.edu
Assistant Professor		      |  windley@cheetah.cs.uidaho.edu

smw@alcor.concordia.ca ( Steven Winikoff ) (05/14/91)

In <WINDLEY.91May13114131@panther.ted.cs.uidaho.edu> windley@ted.cs.uidaho.edu (Phillip J. Windley) writes:

>I am using a DS5000/200PX running Ultrix 4.1.  When I execute the MH
>program /usr/new/lib/mh/slocal, I get a core dump.  Am I doing something
>stupid, or is this a known bug?  Is there a workaround?

I don't *think* you're doing anything stupid.  At least, I find that the same
thing happens when I try it.  The only workaround I've found is to ignore
slocal altogether.  Instead, the pipe capability of .forward can be used for
the same purpose.

If this is a bug, I certainly hope it will be fixed in 4.2!

- Steven

Steven Winikoff                                 smw@alcor.concordia.ca
Software Analyst
Dept. of Computing services
Concordia University                            voice: (514) 848-7619
Montreal, Quebec, Canada                               (10:00-18:00 EST)

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (05/14/91)

In article <smw.674163363@alcor> smw@alcor.concordia.ca ( Steven Winikoff ) writes:
>I don't *think* you're doing anything stupid.  At least, I find that the same
>thing happens when I try it.  The only workaround I've found is to ignore
>slocal altogether.  Instead, the pipe capability of .forward can be used for
>the same purpose.
>
>If this is a bug, I certainly hope it will be fixed in 4.2!

You can also upgrade the release of mh on your system by using anonymous
ftp to get MH 6.7.1 from ics.uci.edu (128.195.1.1).  While we don't
use slocal, we do make heavy use of mh on our DECstations and Suns.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (05/14/91)

In article <282F1879.24450@orion.oac.uci.edu> iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:
>In article <smw.674163363@alcor> smw@alcor.concordia.ca ( Steven Winikoff ) writes:
>>I don't *think* you're doing anything stupid.  At least, I find that the same
>>thing happens when I try it.  The only workaround I've found is to ignore
>>slocal altogether.  Instead, the pipe capability of .forward can be used for
>>the same purpose.
>>
>>If this is a bug, I certainly hope it will be fixed in 4.2!
>
>You can also upgrade the release of mh on your system by using anonymous
>ftp to get MH 6.7.1 from ics.uci.edu (128.195.1.1).  While we don't
>use slocal, we do make heavy use of mh on our DECstations and Suns.

Ultrix 4.2 ships MH 6.7.1, as far as I can tell, by using -help on various
commands.
			- Jim Gettys
			  Digital Equipment Corporation
			  Cambridge Research Laboratory
--

jch@hollie.rdg.dec.com (John Haxby) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.232558.16586@crl.dec.com>, jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) writes:
|> Ultrix 4.2 ships MH 6.7.1, as far as I can tell, by using -help on various
|> commands.

Yup, Jim, and several core-dump bugs in slocal have been fixed.
--
John Haxby, Definitively Wrong.
Digital				<jch@wessex.rdg.dec.com>

The opinions expressed herein are my own, not my employers.