[net.micro] modems and cellular phones

kbb@faron.UUCP (Kenneth B. Bass) (09/09/85)

In article <53400062@trsvax> mikey@trsvax writes:

>You don't need to be moving, the cells are constantly being dynamically
>re-allocated.  The pass-offs will kill you with a standard modem.  Also,
>you need high baud rates to combat the high connect charges.
>
>mikey at trsvax

I'm no expert on cellular technology, but I was under the impression that
the cell switching was more or less overlapped.  That is, the new cell
would start picking up the transmission from the old cell before the
switch was actually made.  That would seem to alleviate any severe switching
glitches.  Low data rate modems might even be able to handle that.

Anyone out there know if this is so?

			"It ain't necessarily so"
			ken bass
			linus!faron!kbb