[comp.unix.ultrix] DEC RISC cc chokes on large auto array

mms@bnlux1.bnl.gov (Morris Strongson) (05/07/91)

    The following complicated C program gives a
"Segmentation fault (core dumped)"  message when compiled and run under the
cc compiler that comes with Ultrix 4.1 on our DECsystem 5000 (RISC).  The
value for UIDMAX I really wanted was 65536, but all values starting with
64971 cause it to crash (64970 works).  The original was much bigger, but
this boils the problem down to its essential parts.  Moving the array above
main works as well.

-------------------------begin included prograsm-----------
#define UIDMAX 64971

main()
{
  long x[UIDMAX][2];      /* 0 for total, 1 for file count */
  printf("entering disksort\n");
}
-------------------------end included prograsm-----------

    This seems to be a rather basic (poor choice of word) program, and I
find it rather distressing that something this simple would fail.  Is
there a later version of the compiler available?  Thanks.

		Morris Strongson  INTERNET:  mms@bnlux1.bnl.gov
				  BITNET:    mms@bnlux0.BITNET

--
		Morris Strongson  INTERNET:  mms@bnlux0.bnl.gov
				  BITNET:    mms@bnlux0.BITNET

treese@crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (05/07/91)

Try "unlimit stacksize".  A segmentation fault doesn't really tell you this,
but it does the job.

The default stacksize in ULTRIX 4.1 is 512 kbytes.  In ULTRIX 4.2, it seems
to be 2048 kbytes.

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.

bgh@synedm.synerlogic.ca (barry hannigan) (05/11/91)

check what /usr/bin/cc points to. under 4.0.1, the link
is to the 2.1 compiler instead of 2.0
barry

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May10.220135.29244@synedm.synerlogic.ca> bgh@synedm.synerlogic.ca (barry hannigan) writes:
>check what /usr/bin/cc points to. under 4.0.1, the link
>is to the 2.1 compiler instead of 2.0
>barry

Yipe! If you are set up to use version 2.0 mof the programming
environment, it is *not enough* just to change that link!
Be root and use /usr/bin/pgmrvers. It will scan /usr/lib/cmplrs (I
think) and then ask you which version of the programming environment you
want. Usually 2.0 or 2.1. Choose 2.1 and the script will change *all*
the necessary links for you.

--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems

robm@ataraxia.Berkeley.EDU (Rob McNicholas) (05/16/91)

In article <897@lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip

   From: yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
   Date: 14 May 91 15:26:27 GMT

   In article <1991May10.220135.29244@synedm.synerlogic.ca>
   bgh@synedm.synerlogic.ca (barry hannigan) writes: >check what
   /usr/bin/cc points to. under 4.0.1, the link >is to the 2.1
   compiler instead of 2.0 >barry

   Yipe! If you are set up to use version 2.0 mof the programming
   environment, it is *not enough* just to change that link!  Be root
   and use /usr/bin/pgmrvers. It will scan /usr/lib/cmplrs (I think)
   and then ask you which version of the programming environment you
   want. Usually 2.0 or 2.1. Choose 2.1 and the script will change
   *all* the necessary links for you.

   -- Philip Yzarn de Louraille Internet: yzarn@chevron.com Research
   Support Division Unix & Open Systems Chevron Information &
   Technology Co.  Tel: (213) 694-9232 P.O. Box 446, La Habra, CA
   90633-0446 Fax: (213) 694-7709

Not quite all.  I believe it misses /usr/lib/cpp (yes, this is a bug).

-Rob
--
Rob McNicholas			Computer Systems Support Group, U.C. Berkeley
robm@janus.berkeley.edu		....!ucbvax!janus!robm