[comp.unix.ultrix] double 'login:' prompt on Ultrix 4.1

lr@cs.brown.edu (Luigi Rizzo) (05/14/91)

Hi there,
we recently installed two DecStation2100 running Ultrix 4.1.
After setting up the TCP/IP, I tried to telnet into the new
machine, and here is the result (the same on both of them):

	luigi@mv3500 2 > telnet pimac2
	Trying...
	Connected to pimac2.
	Escape character is '^]'.

	ULTRIX V4.1 (Rev. 52) (pimac2)

	login: luigi
	login: mypassword
	Password:

I didn't expect the second login prompt and typed my password. I
bet this is the behavious of the average user. I remember I read
something similar in a newsgroup some time ago, but don't
remember whether there was a fix or not, and which OS the bug
was related to (I doubt it was on Ultrix).

Any suggestions ?

	Thanks
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                Brown University & Univ. di Pisa
e-mail: lr@cs.brown.edu, luigi@iet.unipi.it

ellis@kauri.vuw.ac.nz (Brian Ellis) (05/14/91)

In article <75515@brunix.UUCP>, lr@cs.brown.edu (Luigi Rizzo) writes:
|> After setting up the TCP/IP, I tried to telnet into the new
|> machine, and here is the result (the same on both of them):
|>
|> 	luigi@mv3500 2 > telnet pimac2
|> 	Trying...
|> 	Connected to pimac2.
|> 	Escape character is '^]'.
|>

|> 	ULTRIX V4.1 (Rev. 52) (pimac2)
|>
|> 	login: luigi
|> 	login: mypassword
|> 	Password:
|>

|> I didn't expect the second login prompt and typed my password.

This is the behaviour I observed when telneting from a Mac or PC just
after I installed DECnet/Ultrix. The problem was the gateway version of the telnet daemon that is part of DECnet/Ultrix. After complaining to DEC about
it, they came up with a new binary. Works fine now. The interesting thing was
it only asked for the login prompt twice when telneting from a Mac
or PC (NCSA Telnet) - but not from a Unix box or VMS (CMU-TCP).

|> Any suggestions ?

|> ==================================================================
|> Luigi Rizzo                Brown University & Univ. di Pisa
|> e-mail: lr@cs.brown.edu, luigi@iet.unipi.it
|> ==================================================================

Brian.

--
Brian Ellis                               Computing Services Centre
Domain: ellis@rata.vuw.ac.nz              Victoria University of Wellington

przemek@rrdstrad.nist.gov (Przemek Klosowski) (05/15/91)

Luigi> Hi there,
Luigi> we recently installed two DecStation2100 running Ultrix 4.1.
Luigi> After setting up the TCP/IP, I tried to telnet into the new
Luigi> machine, and here is the result (the same on both of them):
Luigi> 	ULTRIX V4.1 (Rev. 52) (pimac2)
Luigi>
Luigi> 	login: luigi
Luigi> 	login: mypassword
Luigi> 	Password:
Luigi> ==================================================================
Luigi> Luigi Rizzo                Brown University & Univ. di Pisa
Luigi> e-mail: lr@cs.brown.edu, luigi@iet.unipi.it
Luigi> ==================================================================

We have the same problem on DECsystem 5810 with Ultrix 4.1, but it
seems to be limited to telnet (decnet logins do not show it) Also, it
shows up when I use telnet on my PC, but not when I telnet from
another UNIX host. Anyone has a good idea what is going on?

--
			przemek klosowski (przemek@ndcvx.cc.nd.edu)
			Physics Department

eanv20@castle.ed.ac.uk (John Woods) (05/17/91)

>>Luigi>	login: luigi
>>Luigi> 	login: mypassword
>>Luigi> 	Password:

>We have the same problem on DECsystem 5810 with Ultrix 4.1, but it
>seems to be limited to telnet (decnet logins do not show it) Also, it
>shows up when I use telnet on my PC, but not when I telnet from
>another UNIX host. Anyone has a good idea what is going on?

Nope. I've mailed DEC about this, but so far have no response. If anyone
gets an answer - please post!

					....John Woods
--
 /******* cut here ******* John Woods ******* cut here ********
 * Philosophy: Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit (Virgil) *

karrer@bernina.ethz.ch (Andreas Karrer) (05/18/91)

eanv20@castle.ed.ac.uk (John Woods) writes:

[... stuff about telnetd.gw displaying "login: " prompt twice ...]

>Nope. I've mailed DEC about this, but so far have no response. If anyone
>gets an answer - please post!

Well I asked the local DEC people for a patch 6 Months ago. No response either.

Then the other day I called them again and told them someone on the net said
that there was a patch. Two hours later I got it, tarred, compressed and uuencoded.

From the README:
        (01/10/90) telnetd.gw, double login prompt

        The DECnet/Internet gateway version of telnetd (telnetd.gw) in its
        non-gateway mode (i.e., as just a regular telnetd) would incorrectly
        prompt twice for a login name.  Patched telnetd.gw's have a patch date
        of 01/09/91 (do "what /usr/etc/telnetd.gw | fgrep PATCH").

  Andi Karrer, Communication Systems, ETH Zuerich, Switzerland
  karrer@bernina.ethz.ch                 - terible simplifieur
  /s=karrer/ou=bernina/o=ethz/prmd=switch/admd=arcom/c=ch/