[comp.unix.ultrix] DAT tape lengths

ddr@flux.isr.alaska.edu (Donald D Rice) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.154453.26014@mlb.semi.harris.com> dcb@dave.mis.semi.harris.com (Dave Brillhart) writes:
>I'm looking at a TLZ04 drive.
>
>It says 60m in the tape.

This brings up a question.  I'm using Genuine Digital DATs, which are marked
as being 60m, which I would interpret as 60 meters.  In various supply
catalogs, though, you can buy DATs marked as 60, 90, or 120.  Are these
numbers referring to lengths in meters or times in minutes?  Since traditional
audio cassettes come in 60, 90, and 120 minute sizes, the DAT markings are
kind of ambiguous.

If 60 is the "standard DAT," what would be the effect of using the longer
tapes?  More capacity?  More fouled tapes?  Is there a distinction between
tapes for audio and tapes for data in the DAT world?  I haven't seen much in
the way of audio DAT equipment, so I don't know if there are a lot of
different grades of DATs available as there are for audio and video
cassettes.

--
Don Rice                                  Internet: ddr@flux.isr.alaska.edu
Geophysical Institute                     E-mail:   fnddr@alaska.bitnet

bruce@opus.objy.com (Bruce Reed) (05/17/91)

I've used both standard audio and data DATs, though never DEC's. The
audio tapes are marked in minutes and come in 60, 90, and 120 minute
varieties. I've only seen the data version sold in 60 meter lengths.
A 120 minute audio DAT is equivalent to the 60 meter data DAT.

I ran a few capacity tests to verify the above and found that I could
not reliably read a 90 minute audio DAT written on an HP DDS drive. I
would think the length would only affect the capacity, so perhaps I
had a bad tape to begin with.

I can't make any performance claims for data versus audio DATs. I have
written my 120 minute audio DATs several times and have no problems
recovering data. I'm sure the data DATs have higher quality tape and
superior shells, but I think the data versus audio distinction is more
of a marketing ploy which allows tape manufacturers to charge twice as
much.

Incidentally, 8mm tapes are packaged and marketed in a similar way. A
120 minute "video quality" 8mm tape is equivalent to a 112 meter data
tape. This format is not particularly known for it's long life (write
retries on the first pass!) and I've found that the data variety
wears just as bad as the audio tapes.

--
Bruce Reed
Objectivity Inc.              bruce@objy.com 	| Duck em' if they can't

benseb@grumpy.sdsc.edu (Booker Bense) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May17.061139.5673@objy.com> bruce@opus.objy.com (Bruce Reed) writes:
>I've used both standard audio and data DATs, though never DEC's. The
>audio tapes are marked in minutes and come in 60, 90, and 120 minute
>varieties. I've only seen the data version sold in 60 meter lengths.
>A 120 minute audio DAT is equivalent to the 60 meter data DAT.

[stuff deleted ]

- Well, we have a Trimarchi(?) DAT drive and I am unable to get it to
store more than about 375~ Megabytes using either DEC 60m or Maxell
60m DAT tapes and both the ultrix and gnu tar. If some kind soul
could send me a note on how to check the capacity of the DAT drive I
would appreciate it.

- Booker C. Bense
prefered: benseb@grumpy.sdsc.edu	"I think it's GOOD that everyone
NeXT Mail: benseb@next.sdsc.edu 	   becomes food " - Hobbes

ddr@flux.isr.alaska.edu (Donald D Rice) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.061139.5673@objy.com> bruce@opus.objy.com (Bruce Reed) writes:
>I've used both standard audio and data DATs, though never DEC's. The
>audio tapes are marked in minutes and come in 60, 90, and 120 minute
>varieties. I've only seen the data version sold in 60 meter lengths.
>A 120 minute audio DAT is equivalent to the 60 meter data DAT.

That would make sense.  I got to thinking about it and it takes us about 90
minutes to dump about 800 MB, so 1.2 GB would take about 120 minutes...
therefore 60m = 120 min = 1.2 GB.

>I ran a few capacity tests to verify the above and found that I could
>not reliably read a 90 minute audio DAT written on an HP DDS drive. I
>would think the length would only affect the capacity, so perhaps I
>had a bad tape to begin with.

Not necessarily.  One vendor told me that their DAT drives would not
work reliably with 45m tapes...didn't say why, but recommended using only
60m tapes.  That's why I've stuck with DEC's tapes, which are clearly marked
as 60m.  Besides, their price is competitive.

>I can't make any performance claims for data versus audio DATs. I have
>written my 120 minute audio DATs several times and have no problems
>recovering data. I'm sure the data DATs have higher quality tape and
>superior shells, but I think the data versus audio distinction is more
>of a marketing ploy which allows tape manufacturers to charge twice as
>much.

I want one of those dual-purpose drives that plays audio DATs as well as
doing data DATs so we can get use out of the drive between backups.  I
wonder if any of the "jukebox" data DATs can play audio tapes?  Maybe even
include disk jockey software..."the latest in AC (Artificial Cool) technology
brings the Top Ten to your DECstation."  I hope DEC's engineers are hard at
work on the concept.
You can tell, it is Friday and I'm ready for the weekend.