[comp.unix.ultrix] dial-out/terminal program for Ultrix 4.x

ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org (Lance Franklin) (05/17/91)

Can somebody point me to a dial-out terminal emulator program, besides
the obvious (tip or cu), that will allow me to utilize the modem on
my Decstation 3100 in a manner similar to the popular comm programs
on the IBM-PC, such as procomm or telix?  I already know about
pcomm2.0 and ECU, but both are written for Xenix and I haven't been
able to successfully port either to Ultrix, which is more BSD-flavored.

I'm mainly looking for the capability to (a) emulate vt100 and (b)
download/upload files via any of the several popular file transmission
methods, like xmodem, ymodem, zmodem or kermit (preferably all of these).

Alternately, has anybody had any better luck porting pcomm, xcomm or ECU
to Ultrix?  In particular, how does one keep getty or uucp from grabbing
the tty port while you're using it?

Lance

--
Lance T. Franklin            +----------------------------------------------+
(ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org)   | "You want I should bop you with this here    |

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (05/19/91)

ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org (Lance Franklin) writes:

>Alternately, has anybody had any better luck porting pcomm, xcomm or ECU
>to Ultrix?  In particular, how does one keep getty or uucp from grabbing
>the tty port while you're using it?

	Locks on modems are traditionally done by placing a lock file
with the device name in /usr/spool/uucp, named LCK..dev, so a lock for
a modem hooked up to /dev/ttyd1 would be LCK..ttyd1

	Other versions of uucp may have a separate lock directory or
naming scheme other than Ultrix' - Ultrix' uucp is a little closer to
uucp's ancestral roots.

	As far as pcomm, etc goes, I can't help you. When I need to get
Vt100 emulation, I run "vtem" - a Vt100 emulator, on top of tip.

mjr.

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (05/19/91)

In <1991May18.171343.24595@decuac.dec.com> mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:

>ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org (Lance Franklin) writes:

>>Alternately, has anybody had any better luck porting pcomm, xcomm or ECU
>>to Ultrix?  In particular, how does one keep getty or uucp from grabbing
>>the tty port while you're using it?

>	Locks on modems are traditionally done by placing a lock file
>with the device name in /usr/spool/uucp, named LCK..dev, so a lock for
>a modem hooked up to /dev/ttyd1 would be LCK..ttyd1

From my examination of the Ultrix open(2) call and
recent work with bringing up ckermit on Ultrix, it seems that the kernel
offers support for locking above and beyond the simple lock file scheme.
This kernel support has to be used in a communications program that
plans to share a line with the stock Ultrix getty, uucico, and tip
programs.  See the O_BLKANDSET and O_BLKINUSE flags for open(2) (which
can be used with O_NONBLOCK, so the open(2) call won't block if the
desired file is in use).
--
Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services
helmer@sdnet.bitnet, dsuvax!ghelmer@wunoc.wustl.edu, ghelmer@dsuvax.dsu.edu