[comp.unix.ultrix] ACE, buses, and the future of ultrix

martelli@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) (05/05/91)

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes (in comp.arch, re ACE):
:for OS software that has yet to be written, why did they need to pick two
:directions (times two hardware directions gives four?) instead of one?  I
:may be missing something important, but this aspect of ACE sure looks like
:one of those "it's a dessert topping; it's a floor polish" skits.

Don't forget they'll support BOTH Dec Turbochannel AND EISA... so, times
two again... the bus variation may be the most important of the three, for
3rd party addon-board manufacturers, and for purchasers of vast numbers of
machines, who can't really buy machines with different buses if they want
to be able to minimize spare parts inventory for the addon cards.

I share your perplexity; and I shake my head at the rumor that Dec is going
to hand over Ultrix-cum-OSF/1, lock, stock, and barrel, to SCO, to become
the base of the ACEy ODT, which Dec will in turn adopt, dropping Ultrix...
I hope this last rumor is wildly unfounded???  We're evaluating a centralized
NFS server, and DS5500 was looking pretty good, but I would be VERY hesitant
to place in such a crucial hub role in our LAN a box from a company who has
just decided its system software is better manufactured by somebody else!

In article <816@cadlab.sublink.ORG> martelli@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:

| I share your perplexity; and I shake my head at the rumor that Dec is going
| to hand over Ultrix-cum-OSF/1, lock, stock, and barrel, to SCO, to become
| the base of the ACEy ODT, which Dec will in turn adopt, dropping Ultrix...
| I hope this last rumor is wildly unfounded???  We're evaluating a centralized
| NFS server, and DS5500 was looking pretty good, but I would be VERY hesitant
| to place in such a crucial hub role in our LAN a box from a company who has
| just decided its system software is better manufactured by somebody else!

  I think the most likely course is that SCO will start from Mach and go
from there. And why shouldn't DEC have someone make their software, when
they are having someone (MIPS) make their CPU?
        "Most of the VAX instructions are in microcode,
         but halt and no-op are in hardware for efficiency"

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) (05/06/91)

In article <816@cadlab.sublink.ORG>, martelli@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:
> I hope this last rumor is wildly unfounded???  We're evaluating a centralized
> NFS server, and DS5500 was looking pretty good, but I would be VERY hesitant
> to place in such a crucial hub role in our LAN a box from a company who has
> just decided its system software is better manufactured by somebody else!

Given DEC's past problems with system software, I see this as a hopeful sign.

After all, you were already getting ready to buy a DEC product with a mostly
third-party O/S. Why not make it explicit?
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

In article <DV3B=4A@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:
> In article <816@cadlab.sublink.ORG>, martelli@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:
> > I hope this last rumor is wildly unfounded???  We're evaluating a centralized
> > NFS server, and DS5500 was looking pretty good, but I would be VERY hesitant
> > to place in such a crucial hub role in our LAN a box from a company who has
> > just decided its system software is better manufactured by somebody else!
>
> Given DEC's past problems with system software, I see this as a hopeful sign.

DEC's transgressions and omissions pale compared to SCO.  Even idiocy like the
dump vs super-user thing that recently re-surfaced.  Things would be far worse
in a multi-party system software environment where the customer service
responsibility and the development responsibility are even further separated
than present.

Now, if DEC would just donate LAT and MIPS support to CSRG, I could punt on the
whole mess and run 4.4 BSD (someday).  8-)   8-(

jallen@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Joseph Allen) (05/11/91)

In article <DV3B=4A@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:
>In article <816@cadlab.sublink.ORG>, martelli@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:
>> I hope this last rumor is wildly unfounded???  We're evaluating a centralized
>> NFS server, and DS5500 was looking pretty good, but I would be VERY hesitant
>> to place in such a crucial hub role in our LAN a box from a company who has
>> just decided its system software is better manufactured by somebody else!

>Given DEC's past problems with system software, I see this as a hopeful sign.

>After all, you were already getting ready to buy a DEC product with a mostly
>third-party O/S. Why not make it explicit?

DEC is even reselling 386 PCs manufactured by Radio Shack

(and that particular PC is the best computer I've ever seen Radio Shack make)
--
/*  jallen@ic.sunysb.edu  */     /* Amazing */     /* Joe Allen 129.49.12.74 */
+r*57)/7,q=q?q-1?q-2?1-p%79?-1:0:p%79-77?1:0:p<1659?79:0:p>158?-79:0,q?!a[p+q*2

mash@mips.com (John Mashey) (05/21/91)

In article <816@cadlab.sublink.ORG> martelli@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:
>:for OS software that has yet to be written, why did they need to pick two
>:directions (times two hardware directions gives four?) instead of one?  I
>:may be missing something important, but this aspect of ACE sure looks like
>:one of those "it's a dessert topping; it's a floor polish" skits.
>
>Don't forget they'll support BOTH Dec Turbochannel AND EISA... so, times
>two again... the bus variation may be the most important of the three, for
>3rd party addon-board manufacturers, and for purchasers of vast numbers of
>machines, who can't really buy machines with different buses if they want
>to be able to minimize spare parts inventory for the addon cards.

This is nonsense.

In the PC world: there are XT busses, AT busses, EISA busses, MCA busses.
Much of this happened sort of by accident, and a lot of software knows too
much about what's there, in gory detail.

ACE assumes that ability to hit different price/performance areas,
and to evolve, requires a sensible scheme for the inclusion of
different busses, (or no bus at all),
which after all, is done by most serious computer systems vendors.
It is absolutely nuts to think that
a bus in widespread use now [EISA, for example] is going to fulfill
everybody's needs in 10 years.

Hence, the ACE compatibility specifications are structured so that one can
have a reasonable shrink-wrapped kernel that doesn't HAVE
to know about the I/O bus choice, but still has enough info to
be able to boot.  This is a lot easier to do when starting from scratch
with the experience of the last 10 years....
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015, 524-8253 or (main number) 408-720-1700
USPS: 	MIPS Computer Systems MS 1/05, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3650