[comp.unix.ultrix] flush doesn't work with dec3100 f77 compiler

ralph@uhheph.phys.hawaii.edu (Ralph Becker-Szendy) (05/26/91)

In article <_Q1+34+@engin.umich.edu> oliveria@engin.umich.edu (ROQUE DONIZETE
DE OLIVEIRA) writes (about the FORTRAB flush system routine):
>C Apparently the FLUSH routine doesn't work on the dec3100 (ultrix 3.1)
>C and dec5000 (ultrix 4.1).

Yes, it doesn't. I noticed that, within 1/2 day of starting to use Ultrix. You
get the feeling that the guys at DEC never test their software if a brandnew
user can find bugs within a few hours. It by the way neither works on stdout
(unit 6), and not when called with parameter "0" to flush all streams.

>                            It did work on a Sun Sparcstation and Apollo (you
>C don't even need to flush on the apollos).  .... rest deleted
Yes, it indeed DOES work on Suns. I guess it won't work on IBM AIX though.
Right now I have the feeling NOTHING works in AIX FORTRAN (which isn't called
f77 but xlf instead); there isn't even a dtime routine :-) I just wasted a day
trying to port "pretty clean" f77 code to AIX, and didn't get anywhere. Boy,
IBM is weird. I guess I really don't need that much CPU power :-) :-) :-)

--
Ralph Becker-Szendy                          UHHEPG=24742::RALPH (HEPNet,SPAN)
University of Hawaii                              RALPH@UHHEPG.PHYS.HAWAII.EDU