[comp.unix.ultrix] X11R4 server for the DecStation 5000/200PX

idall@augean.ua.oz.au (Ian Dall) (05/28/91)

I have been trying to build the MIT X11R4 distribution on a DS5000/200PX.

I have added DNETCONN to ConnectionFlags and -ldnet to ExtraLibraries
(sp?) I also found I had to define AR to be "ar cqs" instead of the
default of "ar cq".

However, when I come to compile the servers I get cannot find include
file messages. The files are <machines/pmreg.h> and <machines/pmioctl.h>
(approximately, I am not on that machine now).

Should I have those include files? If so where?

It occurs to me that the reason I don't have those files is because
we don't have that hardware. Which brings me to the point of the
posting:

   Does anyone have a R4 server for the DS5000/200 with the PX option?

--
 Ian Dall           life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts
                              some people more severely than others.

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.135801.5399@augean.ua.OZ.AU> idall@augean.ua.oz.au (Ian Dall) writes:
>I have been trying to build the MIT X11R4 distribution on a DS5000/200PX.
>
>I have added DNETCONN to ConnectionFlags and -ldnet to ExtraLibraries
>(sp?) I also found I had to define AR to be "ar cqs" instead of the
>default of "ar cq".
>
>However, when I come to compile the servers I get cannot find include
>file messages. The files are <machines/pmreg.h> and <machines/pmioctl.h>
>(approximately, I am not on that machine now).

The X11R4 distribution was setup to work with Ultrix 3.x, not 4.x.  You
need the patches at the end of this message to build the servers and
xterm.

>   Does anyone have a R4 server for the DS5000/200 with the PX option?

MIT X11R4 does not have a server that will run on the 5000s with any
display option other than the color frame buffer (i.e. no PX/PXG).  You
can use the DEC server with your X11R4 clients (I do it all the time).
The only thing you may notice is that clients that use the shape extension
won't do what you expect, since the DEC server doesn't have it.  If you
want to build X11R4 clients, you need to use the MIT libraries.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci