[comp.unix.ultrix] Backup media choice

jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) (05/24/91)

We are getting ready to choose a backup jukebox type system for our
existing DEC 5500's ( but additionally want to use it for our other machines
as well including IBM etc ).

What is the general feeling about 8mm and 4mm tape systems as an
alternative?

What experiences have people had with dec's new solution? ( Apparently
some sort of TK70 like stacker that handles 2.3 gig per tape and a
transfer rate of 800k bytes/sec ).

Thanks, in advance....

--
Jim Ray                                Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  jdr@semi.harris.com         PO Box 883   MS 62B-022

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.194357.14283@mlb.semi.harris.com>, jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) writes:
> We are getting ready to choose a backup jukebox type system for our
> existing DEC 5500's ( but additionally want to use it for our other machine
	   ^^^^^^^^^^

	This being a DECsystem 5500 will be significant later...

> What experiences have people had with dec's new solution? ( Apparently
> some sort of TK70 like stacker that handles 2.3 gig per tape and a
> transfer rate of 800k bytes/sec ).

	The tape system you refer is the TF857.  The "TF" part
	means it's a DSSI tape drive.  I suspect the "7" part
	has something to do with the loader.  It uses a cartridge
	which on the outside looks a lot like a CompacTape I and
	II (TK50 and TK70).  I suspect the media inside is a bit
	better than either.  It looks like a good tape system.

	That said; ULTRIX doesn't support it.  It would be an
	expensive exercise on your part to find out if lack of
	support means it's untested or doesn't work.

	Perhaps if there's a demand for it we'll make a SCSI
	version someday.  Let you're sale representives know.

> Thanks, in advance....

	You're welcome.

Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com

ajc@thendara.pa.dec.com (AJ Casamento) (05/24/91)

  In his note Jim Ray writes:

  >> What is the general feeling about 8mm and 4mm tape systems as an
  >> alternative?

I like them just fine. We use 8mm almost exclusively here in our design
group and it works very well. If you are doing archival backup (either
nightly incremental or weekly full style) and only restoring occasionally
either due to a lost file or a catastrophic failure I would recommend
the 8mm drives (Mountain or TTI seem to work just fine, but I'm sure most
of them will). If you're recalling files on a frequent basis then the
faster search time of the 4mm may mean a great deal more to you. However,
the 4mm is slower to write and has lower capacity per tape.

If you're doing a wide network backup at Harris, you might want to give
some consideration to:

	Magnus	from SUMMUS Computer Systems

	Dual 8mm drives, a 54 tape carousel, 19" rack mount, 125-270GB

	They also are OEM's of Legato's Networker software which can be
	a real win on late night, unattended, heterogeneous network backups.

	800.255.9638	Sales
	713.492.6611	Debbie Denison
	713.492.0092	FAX

  (I happen to like the solution, but this statement should not be taken
   as a warranty, expressed or implied) The legal people make me say that ;-)

    >> What experiences have people had with dec's new solution?

  None. Sorry.

    >> Thanks, in advance....

  No worries.

				Thanx,
				  AJ

      * AJ Casamento			"The question is not whether or    *
      * Digital's TRI/ADD Program	 not the opinions are mine; but    *
      * 100 Hamilton Ave. UCO1-B	 rather, which of my personalities *
      * Palo Alto, CA 94301-1616	 do they belong to?"		   *
      * 415.853.6744							   *
      * ajc@decwrl.dec.com						   *

rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) (05/30/91)

(Jim Ray) writes:
>We are getting ready to choose a backup jukebox type system for our
>existing DEC 5500's ( but additionally want to use it for our other machines
>as well including IBM etc ).
>
>What is the general feeling about 8mm and 4mm tape systems as an
>alternative?

We love 8mm. The tapes are inexpensive and once we wrote some scripts
to automate it, it really cut down our tape duty. We use the Delta
microsystems drive on our SUN 3/60 as a backup drive for our 'net.
We do not use their front end software, just the driver.
The one tape capacity is fine for us, sounds like you have a BIG network!

>What experiences have people had with dec's new solution? ( Apparently
>some sort of TK70 like stacker that handles 2.3 gig per tape and a
>transfer rate of 800k bytes/sec ).

As the subject line says, "Oh Puhleeeease!" Don't tell me they're
marketing yet another incompatible tape format!

-Rich
--
*	Rich Snow  AOA-----------------*
*       (617)864-0201