[net.micro] PC-DOS 3.10 and XT Hard Drive Addon Advice Wanted

Wilkinson@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (09/10/85)

I would like to know from those of you who have used 3.10 what are the
advantages over 3.0 if one is NOT going to use PC-NETworking from IBM in
the near future?  I had heard that full path searching was in 3.1 (data
file as well as executables - true?).  I am currently running PC-DOS
3.0.
 Also I would like any recommendations for adding a hard drive to my IBM
XT which has the 10MByte drive it came with.  Is there a drive I can
plug into the existing controller board and power supply?
          Richard Wilkinson (Wilkinson -at HI-MULTICS.ARPA)
          3411 Larchwood Dr.,  Minnetonka MN 55345
          (612) 542-3720 (days) 473-4187 (evenings)

brown@nicmad.UUCP (09/11/85)

In article <1411@brl-tgr.ARPA> Wilkinson@HI-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
>I would like to know from those of you who have used 3.10 what are the
>advantages over 3.0 if one is NOT going to use PC-NETworking from IBM in
>the near future?  I had heard that full path searching was in 3.1 (data
>file as well as executables - true?).  I am currently running PC-DOS
>3.0.

Number one advantage is the fix for the BACKUP program.  As far as I know,
haven't seen it in the manual anyway, PATH only supports program searching.
I will have to look in the DOS manual to double-check, after I go back to
the office.  I use a program called SEARCH, that I got off the BBS system
that I am the SYSOP of.  It is just like PATH, but does what you (and I)
want, file search, not just program search.
--

Mr. Video   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown