[comp.unix.ultrix] Need help with >>boot of DECStation 2100

dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil (dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil -- harv) (06/01/91)

I would like to RTFM, but I am without.

>>boot     Returns
?47a path:
?470 bt err:

Seems as though I lost NVROM and default path, bootdevice, and bootmode
are gone (it asked for language type).

How to find bootable devices?
How to say "boot of the **RRD on scsi 4"

All answers will be read, and I'll be here for a couple of hours
(just in case the news feed is lightning fast...)

harv
ASD/OL-NS in sunny Albuquerque, (505) 846-5391
dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil

dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil (dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil -- harv) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.185559.22995@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil>,
    dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil [ie: I wrote] writes:

> I would like to RTFM, but I am without.
>
>>>boot     Returns
> ?47a path:
> ?470 bt err:
>
> Seems as though I lost NVROM and default path, bootdevice, and bootmode
> are gone (it asked for language type).
>
> How to find bootable devices?
> How to say "boot of the **RRD on scsi 4"

.
.

Cancel Red Alert. (But still looking for info)

'Found info on the differences between new and old DS5K's ROM Monitor
and surmised that I needed something like:
>>boot -f rz(0,N,0)vmunix

where the N is the disk number.

I ended up splicing the DS2100 box's internal disks into my VS3100
and using 'test 50' and 'show dev' to get the SCSI address of the
DS's internal drives.

Anyway I got it booted (and think I probably want to add -a after vmunix)
and will be able to boot again, ...

I would still like to get info on how to 'read' whats on the SCSI where,
and how to set up the environment for autoboot ala the VS's that I run.

PS:  part of my problem was that my DS RRD is set on address 4, and so was
one of the internal disks.

Have a good weekend,

ajc@thendara.pa.dec.com (AJ Casamento) (06/01/91)

	In article <1991May31.220607.22997@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil>
	    dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil writes:

	> I would still like to know how to see what's on the SCSI.

    It would seem that you lost your battery back-up. But, to your
    question, here's a basic look at what you want to do:

	>> scsi pb

    This is the SCSI PROBE command (for the DS2100/DS3100 series PROMS)
    and will show you what is out on your SCSI bus. While it will not
    fix the problem of having two SCSI devices set to the same SCSI ID#
    it would have told you that you were not seeing all of the devices
    that you had connected.

    I don't know what version of console firmware you have (I think we
    are up to v7.3 or so, but since I have a DS5000 :-) I'm not that
    certain of PROM level's on the older systems) but I remember that
    with PROMs below v6.1 (or thereabouts) you needed to do an init
    before you booted when you had been running any of the tests in the
    firmware (some sort of weird state having been left by the tests).
    The command would be:

	>> init

    You would then see a reset that would respond with the KN01-AA as
    the processor, your console PROM version and your ethernet address.

    To see what has been set for a bootpath on your machine, you can
    use:

	>> printenv bootpath

    From your note I would gather that your's would respond with:

	>> bootpath=

    You could then do a:

	>> setenv bootpath= -f rz(0,N,0)vmunix -a

    Where N is the SCSI ID# of the drive you are attempting to boot from
    (the first 0 in the parentheses is the SCSI bus ID#, as we had plans
    for additional SCSI buses being available on later products, I don't
    remember what the final 0 is...senility is so hard to live with). The
    -a switch will bring you up in multi-user mode while leaving the file
    pointer at just vmunix will bring you up in single-user mode.

    The PROM code on the DS5000 series (Models 120,125 and 200) is, in
    fact, different. It wasn't changed just for fun. We needed to open
    up the interface for Third Party Hardware vendors who wanted access
    to TURBOchannel. Your options there would be:

	>> cnfg

    This is the "configuration" command that will show you the system's
    configuration. It will report on options, both base system module and
    the configurable TURBOchannel slots, that it finds at the various
    TURBOchannel logical addresses. To see a detail on a particular option
    that is present you would do a:

   	>> cnfg N

    Where N is the number of the option that you are interested in (in the
    case of the base system SCSI bus on a DS5000/200 it would be:

	>> cnfg 5

    A logical boot sequence for your case might be:

	>> boot 5/rz4/vmunix -a

    This would boot the system off of your RRD40/RRD42 at SCSI ID#4 and
    bring the system up in multi-user mode. While a network boot would be:

	>> boot 6/mop

    To set your boot environment on any of the DS5000 series machines the
    command is:

	>> setenv boot=X/rzN/filesystem -a

    Where:

	X 		is the TURBOchannel option you want to boot from.

	N 		is the SCSI ID# of the device you want to boot from.

	filesystem 	is the name (usually vmunix or genvmunix) that
	 		you want to point at.

	-a		is the multi-user mode switch.

    I know that it all seems a bit cryptic. That's on purpose, but slightly
    out of our control. Certain countries stipulate that if the console
    code isn't supported in their native language, it can't be English. So,
    we take the vowels out of most of the commands as a means to comply.

    I didn't mean this to go into a tutorial...it just sort of happened.
    I hope that this helps.

				Thanx,
				  AJ

      * AJ Casamento			"The question is not whether or    *
      * Digital's TRI/ADD Program	 not the opinions are mine; but    *
      * 100 Hamilton Ave. UCO1-B	 rather, which of my personalities *
      * Palo Alto, CA 94301-1616	 do they belong to?"		   *
      * 415.853.6744							   *
      * ajc@decwrl.dec.com						   *

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.185559.22995@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil>, dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil (dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil  --  harv) writes:

> I would like to RTFM, but I am without.
>
> >>boot     Returns
> ?47a path:
> ?470 bt err:
>
> Seems as though I lost NVROM and default path, bootdevice, and bootmode
> are gone (it asked for language type).

	That's what it looks like...

> How to find bootable devices?

	It's a two step operation; find what devices there are
	and then see if any are bootable.

	Since the only interesting places from which to boot on
	the DECstation 2100/3100 are the Ethernet and single
	SCSI adapter you probably want to find out what is on
	the SCSI.  There is a console level command called "scsi"
	that has lots of subcommands.  The one of interest in this
	case is "pb", for probe.  It will list what kind of devices
	and their unit numbers.

> How to say "boot of the **RRD on scsi 4"

	To test booting different devices use the command: boot -f {device}

	Where the general form of {device} is:

		type(0,unit,0)[kernel]

		type = rz, tz, mop (and maybe something for bootp)
		unit = The unit number.
		kernel = The name of the ULTRIX you want to boot;
			 genvmunix, vmunix, myvmunix...

	The 2nd zero may well be a partition number, 0 = a, 1 = b,
	etc, but I've never used.

	Examples:

		RRD40 with unit 4 = rz(0,4,0)vmunix - Good for installation
		TK70 with unit 5 = tz(0,5,0) - Also typically used for
			installation.
		RZ56 with unit 0 = rz(0,0,0)vmunix - Typical system disk.
		Diskless - mop()

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com